PDA

View Full Version : installing drivers on Windows 98

mukiduk
20-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I need a lot of help on installing the drivers on windows 98 after I format the drive. I am working on a couple of computers and I can't seem to get all the drivers to work again. I have tried backing them up before I format and copied them back to 'my documents' folder after I re-install 98 but, when I point the wizard to the folders, it says there are no drivers there that match the hardware.

This latest one is on a motherboard with this number.
MVP4-686A-2A5LHV3AC-00 and I have a CD for the computer called
"CD Rom Installation Driver & Utility". I contains several folders containing many drivers but I am not sure which ones to pick.

It installed all the microsoft drivers on the Winsows CD but the modem does not work. In device manager there is a yellow mark beside unknown device and the hardware is asking for is "PCI serial controller" The folder I think is correct is the one called 'mvp4' in the 'via chipset' folder but the wizard cannot find a driver.

I assume the modem will not work because it is attached to a pci slot and this driver controlls that slot.

Every time I try to install drivers, it is only luck I manage to get them to work sometimes and I would like to know exactly how to do it properly.

pctek
20-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Take the lid off the PC. Note the motherboard model number. Google it, go to the manufacturers website and download the chipset drivers (VIA) for it.
Download any onboard drivers as well, sound, VGA etc.

Look at the model number for the modem. Google that too - DriverGuide is a good place for those....

SolMiester
20-07-2006, 09:58 AM
You will need to install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers before the motherboard recognises the hardware, this should be the 1st thing you do after O/S install and before any expanpsion card hardware installs.

Prescott
20-07-2006, 10:09 AM
DriverGuide toolkit is also quite usefull, it detects your hardware and shows you which drivers you need to download, it gives a link to them. Its not free though, but its a damn usefull trial.

tweak'e
20-07-2006, 10:40 AM
ditto SolMiester. you will need the old drivers not the new ones. its explained on the via driver site.

mukiduk
01-09-2006, 07:29 AM
DriverGuide toolkit is also quite usefull, it detects your hardware and shows you which drivers you need to download, it gives a link to them. Its not free though, but its a damn usefull trial.

I used driver guide toolkit to save these drivers and put them on a usb drive so I could copy them back to the computer after I re-installed windows 98.

However the trial period has ended now and I am trying to install the modem.
It is a pctel modem and the 'new hardware wizard' is looking for a file "pctptt".
That file is in the folder that I ask the wizard to check but it says there is no file there. I even copied all the files separately onto a CD and the wizard still could not find them. Any idea what I do now? Why can not windows find the file that is actually there?

The file is "pctptt.exe". I tried to make it install using the 'run' command in the start menu but, nothing happened.

It is very frustrating when the computer names the file it is looking for but cannot find it for some reason. So far, nobody has been able to tell me why this is so.

pctek
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Because it doesn't like that driver.
Do what I said before.