PDA

View Full Version : Dlink 502-T Problems

pctek
19-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Anyone come across hassles with this model of Dlink lately?
Xtra seem to be using these now and I have had 3 have problems connecting via USB.
Th first set up ok, and a few days later suddenly lost USB and refused to recognise it again. All other USB devices were fine. Put it on NIC and it has been fine ever since.

The second initially didn't want to install, got it to, then it wouldn't authenticate. Eventually for no reason I could see it did. It was then fine for 6 dyas, lost the not so much the USB connection but its correct IP. Took ages to get it back, then agagin, it refused to authenticate. Xtra are sending her a new one.

The third wouldn't install via USB at all, I gave up bothering and put in a NIC, connected fine, but again wouldn't authenticate at first. When it finally did, its been fine for over a week now.

Dlink or Xtra?

SolMiester
19-07-2006, 06:57 PM
D-Link, must be loading too much on the USB interface & dropping the port.

I have never liked using USB. Firewalls etc always work better over a proper network interface.

pctek
19-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmm, so whats with the not authenticating then?

The 2nd person, spoke to 5 separate Xtra "help"desk people who variously told her to turn off the firewall, uninstall AV etc.
All for authenticating. She had just finished sending some mail when it lost it again too.
Then they decide they are sending her a new router, meanwhile they'll put her back on dialup, I left her with them at that point.
She rang me later to say they couldn't help her as there was a problem with her modem. Er, I checked it all before I left and all that she had to do was the Make New Connection part.....considering she had only recently switched from dial up before - although with another ISP.

Anyway tomorrow shes getting a NIC and I'm going to try my router on it first.

rawkus1020
20-07-2006, 05:10 AM
allso when u try to open ports i had heaps of trople with my d link 302g modem i went to a step by step guide but didnt work but some1 on this site told me how to do it though dos as soon as i did that it started downloading up 2 190kbs i heard telecom modem eg d link 30 2 g they do something to stop u from downloading at high speed from torrent sites

linw
21-07-2006, 06:48 PM
The 502T is an OK device but people whose knowledge I respect say NEVER use the USB port for connecting TCp/IP network devices. RJ45 rules!

As an aside, I would be extremely doubtful that there is anything wrong with those "faulty" modems being sent back!!

drcspy
21-07-2006, 06:58 PM
i've come across one or three faulty ones.......one I remember lost it's ethernet capability and another just kept losing the connection all the time.....both replaced quick smart by xtra via courier post and all is good....