PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP networking

jlops
18-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I have 1 PC running Windows XP home and 1 running Windows XP Pro. I have run the Windows Set up home network wizard many times but I cannot get access to the shared folders i have on each computer. The folders from the other computer do not appear when I open my network places from either computer. I only see the shared folders that are already on the computer i am currently using. When I click see workgroup computers I can see both computers however when i click on one of the computers I get a message telling me that I dont have permission to access that computer and i should contact my server administrator. Can anybody help me please????

linw
18-07-2006, 03:03 PM
This is probably the best site I have seen for network troubleshooting. http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/59200376

Particularly look at the last section where it talks about the guest account and simple file sharing. Also, check your registry for the restrictanonymous key. This is a really sneaky one and one that can stump an awful lot of people. (I had this problem on a client's site and after much googling I found this solution!).

I think you will get the solution here so good luck.

Graham L
18-07-2006, 03:28 PM
You should have an account on each computer with the same (identical) username/password.