PDA

View Full Version : Computer Restart Issue - PLEASE HELP!!!

AkeJay02
17-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I honestly have no idea what is going on with my computer. I've looked all over the place for a solution, and noone seems to be able to help me. So here's another shot:

About a week ago, my computer began sending spam emails to people in a very rapid fashion. The only way that I knew that it was going on was that Norton would bring up a message for each one. These messages would interrupt anything and everything that I was doing, and it now completely slows down my computer to the point that I can't get anything done.

The only solutions that people have been giving me involve turning off certain things that Norton does, so that the messages will stop showing up. But this won't solve my problem, it will just sweep it under the rug, so I can't really tell what's going on.

Anyway, recently my computer started restarting, seemingly at random, and usually without warning. It would just shut off, and begin to reboot. Sometimes, though, it will bring up a message, telling me something about "services.exe" going wrong, and that I need to close all applications as it will shut down in one minute.

I really don't have the money to take this computer in, and I am willing to use that as a last resort. Can someone help me?

Jen
17-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I cannot believe someone suggested to just turn off the Norton notification as a solution :eek:

You obviously have a serious infection of trojans/malware which need addressing. Have a look at this FAQ on Spyware/Adware/Viruses (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Spyware%2C_Adware_%26_Viruses) and scan your machine with some of the suggested tools. Then if the problem still exists, post a HijackThis log back into this thread.

Do you have a firewall installed as part of your Nortons package?

What operating system do you have and have you installed all the security updates for it?

Oh, and Welcome to PressF1 :)