PDA

View Full Version : dvd I/O device error Help me

mts8008
16-07-2006, 08:31 PM
:badpc: DVD\CD-RW burner model number GWA-4164B

DVD drive not working help me please....
When i try to put Cd or DVD into the drive it knows because a little CD thing pops up by the cursor but nothing happens. if i try to manually explore or use the CD it comes up with this error.

"D:\ in not accessible
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Here is what i have done: i checked the device manager and it say's the device is working properly. I have ran the utility partition and scanned all hardware and it say's that the disk drive is fine. I have also unistalled and reinstalled both the IDE controllors, and the disk drive itself and, I also reset the bios. I even tried changing the transfer to PIO only from dma. Also i have reinstalled windows, using the dell PC system restore utility partition. Even with a different DVD drive and had the same problem. I even tried booting directly to a CD with the hard drive disconnected and it starts to check the dvd drive then, it say's errer no boot device found. It all started after i switched motherboards a week ago (i have installed the proper chipset) P.S the DVD drive is the only thing on that cable so it's not a master/slave error. if anyone has any ideas i'd love to here them thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Try another IDE cable on the DVD, and make sure you've got the IDE cable round the right way. If one end of the IDE cable is blue, make sure the blue end is going to the mobo end.

mts8008
17-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Try another IDE cable on the DVD, and make sure you've got the IDE cable round the right way. If one end of the IDE cable is blue, make sure the blue end is going to the mobo end.
I double checked the cable and it's in properly. I will try a new Cable today and post back. Thanks for the feed back Speedy i can use all help i can get :)

borax
17-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I had a similar prob a while ago. DVD drive had an I/O error, appeared OK in device manager etc. I could explore CDs/DVDs but if i tried to burn anything or put DVD +R in it i got the I/O error. Turned out that the drive was broken and had to be replaced

Graham L
17-07-2006, 06:27 PM
The Device Manager is like a human manager. It knows nothing. If it says a device is working correctly, it is often lying. It thinks there is a devce there. That's all. It doesn't test it.

The new motherboard might be the problem. Its drive controller selection logic might work slightly differently. :(

Try changing the select jumper on the drive. If it's on MA or SL, move it to CS. If it's on CS, move it to MA. :)

mts8008
18-07-2006, 05:00 AM
I had a similar prob a while ago. DVD drive had an I/O error, appeared OK in device manager etc. I could explore CDs/DVDs but if i tried to burn anything or put DVD +R in it i got the I/O error. Turned out that the drive was broken and had to be replaced
Yeah i tried switching drives to a extra sony dvd burner i had but i still got the same error. :( :(

mts8008
18-07-2006, 05:03 AM
The Device Manager is like a human manager. It knows nothing. If it says a device is working correctly, it is often lying. It thinks there is a devce there. That's all. It doesn't test it.

The new motherboard might be the problem. Its drive controller selection logic might work slightly differently. :(

Try changing the select jumper on the drive. If it's on MA or SL, move it to CS. If it's on CS, move it to MA. :)
Thanks for the feed back i just tried what you said but still i get that I/O error. A Dell Tech is supposed to come today to replace the cable and burner (for free :thumbs: ) maybe the cable will help. I will post back afterwards :dogeye:

mts8008
18-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Well the dell tech came here switched the cable and DVD drive and it still doesn't work. Only now no error comes up when you try to read it instead it just doesn't show anything on the CD or DVD grrrrrr. :mad: :mad:. Any one have any ideas.

tweak'e
18-07-2006, 10:32 AM
repair/replace aspi driver and also motherboard drivers.

mts8008
18-07-2006, 04:54 PM
repair/replace aspi driver and also motherboard drivers.
Hey i just tried replacing the ASPI and i reinstalled the chipset for the motherboard but still no dice thanx for the feedback.
P.S that I/O device error is still there ignore what i said before :xmouth: :( :confused: :help: :badpc:

mts8008
18-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Is it possible that this new motherboard needs more power than the original dell dimension 3100's. If so maybe i should replace the power supply. Anyone have any thoughts on if the power supply could somehow be related to the I/O error i get. Maybe the IDE controllors aren't getting enough power? :confused:

mts8008
19-07-2006, 07:42 AM
I tried a new 400w power supply and nothing changed i guess at this point i will try to get one of those IDE to SATA converters...... :groan: