PDA

View Full Version : HP DVD Writer 300n problems

KleoPatros
16-07-2006, 01:54 AM
My HP DVD Writer 300n has suddenly decided to stop recognising DVD-ROM discs & DVDs - regular CD-ROMs & CDs are recognised though.

I've been through the troubleshooters on HPs website but with no success - uninstalled/reinstalled/updated drivers etc :badpc: - has anyone got any ideas what may be the cause and or solution or am I going to have to junk the thing?

If I do junk it have you got any recommendations on a good replacement internal DVD+RW writer?

My system is a bog standard HP Pavilion t460a runnning XP Pro SP2 that's worked as well as any MS box up till now that the waranty has run out ;)

Thanks
Kleo

Nomad
16-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Its junk.
A LG is nice is the one I have and been advised on this forum. Burns a CD in 3min and DVD in 5 min for me. Comes with Nero.

If you wanna check it then try a windows start up disk such as Win98 disk w/ CD support boot into DOS then pop in a DVD and see if you can view the contents typing the drive letter such as E: enter then dir enter

pctek
16-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Its junk.
A LG is nice is the one I have ar
Pioneer, ASUS, Liteon.

LG as a company renamed themselves - they used to be called Goldstar. Are you aware of their reputation?

Nomad
16-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes I do have a vague thing that Goldstar was not that good, I was aware it was a rename but people have said it was very good so that was why I got it. My CD - ROM from 1995 lasted for like couple of years so that was good experience as well. That was under the Goldstar label, came with my Soundblaster 16 kit :D

Also have a LG monitor for a few and its been good as well. One of the higher model ones.