PDA

View Full Version : How often do you think I should run/update my AV and Spyware finder software?

matty3
15-07-2006, 06:22 PM
How often do you think I should run/update my AV and Spyware finder software or how often do you run yours?

~Matt :-)

gibler
15-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Daily if you use IE.. AV on mine updates a few times a day. spyware once a week maybe.

matty3
15-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Mine takes about 2hrs in total to run.

matty3
15-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I use firefox.

I usually do them before I use Internet Banking but I try to do them once every 2-3 days.

matty3
15-07-2006, 06:28 PM
How long does your AV and spyware finder programs take to run?

tweak'e
15-07-2006, 06:29 PM
AV ....once a week at least. virtually every company does a major update once a week. there can be daily updates depending on virus activity.

antispyware.....depends on which one. if its got built in protection or real time scanning etc then once a week also. for me i just wait till i hear an update is out and do a scan every now and then ;)

Scouse
15-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Update AVG every morning before anything else - takes only seconds most mornings. Auto full run during and after lunch every day. Runs quite happily in the background. Costs nothing.

stu161204
15-07-2006, 06:57 PM
How long does your AV and spyware finder programs take to run?

My AV program (AVG) takes about 3 - 4 hours to scan my complete hard drive (40 GB)

My spyware finder programs

Spybot - Search & Destroy takes about 20 30 mins maybe more

Ad-Aware 10 20 mins maybe more

stu161204
15-07-2006, 07:00 PM
How often do you think I should run/update my AV and Spyware finder software or how often do you run yours?

For AV I would run it at lest once a week & for Spyware finder software I would say once / twice a month, depending on what you do.

For me, I run my AV & Spyware finder software when every I am not busy, which is not as often as I should :D

pctek
15-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Ffor Spyware finder software I would say once / twice a month,
:horrified

I ask my clients how often do they use the net? Every day? Are the kids on it every day?
Then scan it EVERY day.
Why wait for the spyware to do damage? Kill it before its had time.
If something gets in and you've waited a month....well....you deserve what happens.

mark c
15-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Depends also on what you do/where you go on the net. This comp I use for all sorts of reckless and irresponsible net usage so I thrash it every day. On the other one which I use for rmainstream/responsible use about once a week. Experience will be a guide for you. :badpc:

(provided you learn from it.) :D

jenae
15-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi, I kind of vote for PCTeck's response, the philosophy that you can never have enough protection , is far better than the alternative. Think about the nature of spyware and malware the fact that it continues to evolve means that reactive detection (what most PC users have ) is always behind, so to prevent problems the more frequent you run various detection programs and receive updates the better.

Greg
15-07-2006, 10:35 PM
A couple times a month would be adequate.

jenae
15-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi, no a couple of times a month would be inadequate, we recommend at the least weekly, and particularly if you notice any performance degredation, then run immediately. A cavalier approach to this increasing problem is frustrating, many of our clients spend hundreds of dollars having us remove these things, total waste of our time and a very negative drain on the economy. :(

Greg
15-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi, no a couple of times a month would be inadequate, we recommend at the least weekly, and particularly if you notice any performance degredation, then run immediately. A cavalier approach to this increasing problem is frustrating, many of our clients spend hundreds of dollars having us remove these things, total waste of our time and a very negative drain on the economy. :(I'll correct that...A couple times a month would be more than adequate.

Unless you're utterly careless and/or going out of your way to invite spyware or viruses.

jenae
16-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi, would it not be lovely to believe that malware and spyware perpetrators, target only the guilty. I wish here only to point out that to protect yourself then once or twice a month is not to be recommended. Why expose your system to the added risk when you could have prevented it, go to any malware forum and post your advice and see how poorly this bad advice is treated.

Greg
16-07-2006, 03:52 AM
I should give a stuff what idiots do on their systems? In 12 years of Windows use I've never had a single virus. Nor any undetected spyware.

I think your advice is only suitable for users with a kindergarten mentality. Or save it for your clients so you don't have to keep hustling them for hundreds of dollars each time.

pctek
16-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I should give a stuff what idiots do on their systems? In 12 years of Windows use I've never had a single virus. Nor any undetected spyware.

Good for you. So its probably enough for you.
But NOT for the public in general. Idiots or not, a lot have kids and go off downloading all sorts of stuff, even the adults....I'll keep on telling them every day if thats how often there are on the net.
While I spend a lot of my time removing this stuff (and charging for it) I prefer to educate my clients rather than go back all the time and repeat the process on a regular basis. Makes for happier clients too....

FoxyMX
16-07-2006, 12:32 PM
In 12 years of Windows use I've never had a single virus. Nor any undetected spyware.Nor have I Greg, apart from Kak.worm in an email years and years ago, but the children have gotten the computer infected a few times in the past. The last time was when my daughter downloaded some objects for her Sims game and the AV picked up trojans in all of them. :groan:

They are a lot better now because I have explained to them how computers get infected. They also know that I will format their computer without saving any of their stuff if they infect it without checking with me whether something is OK to download and install, or by visiting dodgy sites. Their PC only gets scanned with Adaware and Spybot once a month or so compared to mine which gets done when I feel like it, maybe every three months or so.

I think your advice is only suitable for users with a kindergarten mentality. Or save it for your clients so you don't have to keep hustling them for hundreds of dollars each time.I kind of agree with you there for people who don't have children or teenagers using the computer because although most people are totally unaware of how they got infected in the first place, they don't really have any excuse after being educated. If they want to keep on visiting dodgy sites and downloading spyware-infected junk after being told the risks then they only have themselves to blame.

My own customers rarely return with an infected PC - except for those with teenagers. You can put all the protective tools in the world on their PCs but it won't make a squat of difference if they don't listen and don't use them. :rolleyes:

jenae
16-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi, well we have the whenever you feel like it response, to the twice a month response, people who write these nasties will love you, me I just sigh and say education grasshopper ... :)

gibler
16-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi, well we have the whenever you feel like it response, to the twice a month response, people who write these nasties will love you, me I just sigh and say education grasshopper ... :)

No it requires user decisions to get ye spyware on there. If you use IE..., if you love to click OK to every dialog box, if you love to install those funny screensavers, if you love to download random files using P2P.

The machines I see at work that are spyware infected are pretty much always laptops that no doubt got used at home by the kids.

FoxyMX
17-07-2006, 09:15 AM
No it requires user decisions to get ye spyware on there. If you use IE..., if you love to click OK to every dialog box, if you love to install those funny screensavers, if you love to download random files using P2P.
Well said gibler, my sentiments exactly. :cool:

It also helps if you don't use Outlook Express and don't install all those cute emoticons and toolbars.

matty3
23-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Cool.

Thankyou everyone for your replies,