PDA

View Full Version : Video Convesion

pine-o-cleen
15-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok, what I'm trying to do is convert a WMV file to AVI format or any other format that will allow me to burn it as a SVCD.

I have searched this forum and there are quite a few suggestions, usually people posting links to shareware sites that list hundreds of conversion programs. These programs either; dont convert WMV, only convert the video and not the sound, only convert the first minute of video, plaster a 'purchase this product and this will go away' sign in the middle of the video or simply do not do what they say they do, i.e. they just don't work.

Does anyone know any programs (that they have tried - please dont just google wmv to avi, believe me I have tried) that will convert WMV to AVI, or any other way I can get my WMV file on to an SVCD?

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2006, 06:47 PM
If u have a dvd burner, Nerovision would convert WMV and other formats to DVD format.

Buff_K
15-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I use a program called Blaze Media Pro that can convert to/from any of WMV/MPEG/Quicktime and AVI - with or without DivX which is pretty cool.

Pretty sure it has a free trial which is same as full version (no watermarks etc) for one month.

Neil McC
15-07-2006, 07:54 PM
See if this is any good for you too.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Metla
15-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok, what I'm trying to do is convert a WMV file to AVI format or any other format that will allow me to burn it as a SVCD

And there is your issue, or at least one of them. SVCD is a standard that uses mpeg.

You want a program that can author a SVCD, not a program to convert to AVI. If you encode a WMV file into an AVI and then burn it to cd you do not get a SVCD, you get a cd with data on it that no stand alone DVD player in the world could make sence of.

pine-o-cleen
15-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Metla - I realise that, the reason I wanted to convert it to AVI, was that the software I'd use to create the SVCD (Power Director Pro - Disc Wizard) requires the video to be an AVI. Why? No idea.

Sorry, AVI is one of the formats it can use. Just can't use WMV.

pine-o-cleen
15-07-2006, 09:27 PM
See if this is any good for you too.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
Ahh open source... Gotta love it. Downloading now.

pine-o-cleen
15-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Ok, nero won't let me make a SVCD (Says I need to buy a 'dvd plugin') but has let me make a VCD. So if it comes out ok, then sweet.

Mediacoder wouldn't work, the audio came through ok, just the video was black.

HISS
21-07-2006, 01:17 AM
you can do it on this site: ........ there`s a free online conversion without any necessary programs` installation on your computer-you have to send your video there, and that`s all :thumbs:

zqwerty
21-07-2006, 01:36 AM
DRM strikes again.

Lawrence
22-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Do you just have the WMV file or do you have the DV Tape, saving as a WMV file from Windows Moviemaker leaves you with inferior file, you should save as a AVI file down the menu in moviemaker. How I do it is download DV into Moviemaker, save as AVI, Encode with Mainconcept and burn with Nero, this produces very good results, but there are heaps of ways to do it, I am happy with what I use.