PDA

View Full Version : Browser feature

eef2
15-07-2006, 10:56 AM
If it is true, and I am beginning to think that it is, that browsers open folders with files in them, not files as such, then why does IE Firefox, and others list the command "open File CTL + O" in the File menu?
It's misleading, isn't it? :stare:
eef2

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Well most of the formats, any browser will use. like html, bmp etc anyway.

eef2
15-07-2006, 11:36 AM
True, Speedy, but after files are saved to computer online via the browser, they go into a folder, true?

Now the ODD file can be brought up as you suggest. But here's a case:
One saves (offline) the browser pages of ones Router for use when disconnections occur.

This is where pages are saved as files. I should say here that when I do this, I forget to go offline first - never thought that it mattered.
Here, when I load, say "PPP.html" (as I had saved it) into my browser, I get an annoying message that the browser's (name) cannot find such a file on such a path to the tune that no such file ever existed! :waughh:

Can anyone help here, as I do want to keep my router's settings avialable on record for future use?

Thanks in Anticipation

eef2

FoxyMX
15-07-2006, 11:44 AM
If you save a page called "PPP.html" go to the file in Windows Explorer (ie not through the Open File in your browser), double-click it and it will open in your browser. Can you do this?

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2006, 11:46 AM
True, they'll either get cached if you're online, so next time u go back to the same site, it wont take as long for the site to load. Thats until u clear the cache.

Or yup u can save all the files relating to whatever site and load the same page/site while youre offline. BUT it wont update until ur online and go back to the site.

Dont know what a router has to do with it.

techiekid
15-07-2006, 12:07 PM
If it is true, and I am beginning to think that it is, that browsers open folders with files in them, not files as such, then why does IE Firefox, and others list the command "open File CTL + O" in the File menu?
eef2

if you dislike other browsers so much then make your own one! of course it relies on ie to run but it is quite nifty www.browserbob.com

FoxyMX
15-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Dont know what a router has to do with it.

Can anyone help here, as I do want to keep my router's settings avialable on record for future use?
eef2, it might be easier just to take screenshots of each page and save those to your hard drive.

eef2
15-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. I cleared my cache and then tried opening a similar file that I had saved from my router, but got this message" The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."
I might try making my own browser as has been suggested.
eef2

FoxyMX
15-07-2006, 12:37 PM
if you dislike other browsers so much then make your own one! of course it relies on ie to run but it is quite nifty www.browserbob.com
I don't think that is relevant to eef2's problem in the slightest. His problem is not with the browser itself.

techiekid
15-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't think that is relevant to eef2's problem in the slightest. His problem is not with the browser itself.
Actuallty it is :angry

eef2
You could make a browser that isnt misleading...

FoxyMX
15-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Actuallty it is :angry
OK, you sort him out then. I'm off to do something useful now. ;)

techiekid
15-07-2006, 12:44 PM
i was merely making a point, not being a self righteous freak.

Graham L
15-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Browsers don't "open folders with files in them not files". They don't know what to do with a directory. When a browser wants a file (offline), it asks the OS for it. (If you connect online to an FTP site's directory, you see the index file provided by the site. The site navigates according to instructions sent by the browser).

If you use the File/Open method to get a file offline, you need to know where the file you want is. You might be shown (by the OS, not the browser) the normal "File" directory window, which you can navigate to the file you want, "Open"ing directories on the way. But this is OS work, not browser. When you select the file you want, the browser opens it.

eef2
15-07-2006, 07:02 PM
OK, thanks guys.
I've selected the best advice - to make screenshots.
Graham, you have not understood my problem - which remains.
eef2.