PDA

View Full Version : modem problem

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 09:48 AM
My flatmates modem suffered a lightning strike and is now toast.A new one was installed,but for some reason we keep getting a "no dial tone" error.Another new one was tried, but the same error message comes up.
A check through the computer finds everything working fine, even the modem,but still the above error when attempting to go online.Could there be something else that may have been damaged in the strike that could explain this error occuring.Any ideas would be welcome.
He's running XP SP2

Thanks

Hook

snoopy
15-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Have you tried a different cable , modem ---> wall socket, also is there a dial tone when you connect a phone to the socket, has the modem got a line & a phone socket try to connect from each, I had a job the other day, that the modem would only connect using the phone socket, I assumed the wiring in the house must have been back to front as it worked fine at my workshop via the line socket... spooky :D

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi snoopy,
my computers in the next room and can still access the net.Although I'm on broadband, I tried mine on dial up and no problems.
As a matter of interest, does it matter what brand 56k modem is used,the old one was an agere (spelling).Also, the modem that came out did not have a fax line out,the new ones do, would this make a difference.

Hook

Trev
15-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Try deleting your old connection and installing a new one.

Trevor :)

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I'll give that a go Trev, and get back to you

Hook

Renmoo
15-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Try deselecting the option where it says "wait for dial tone before dialing" and see if the modem will connect to the Internet. (though I am not 100% sure whether you are supposed to do that)

Cheers :)

straitjacket
15-07-2006, 11:06 AM
It's fine to do as James suggests, and is the best workaround for anyone who has the call minder service as the series of beeps it gives you when you pick up the phone is enough to upset the modem...also call waiting will often give them some problems

snoopy
15-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi snoopy,
my computers in the next room and can still access the net.Although I'm on broadband, I tried mine on dial up and no problems.
As a matter of interest, does it matter what brand 56k modem is used,the old one was an agere (spelling).Also, the modem that came out did not have a fax line out,the new ones do, would this make a difference.

Hook

What make & model is the new modem ?

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 12:06 PM
The new one is a D Link DFM5621S 56K

snoopy
15-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Did you install the driver off the CD or did XP know best & installed one at random ?

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Installed the drivers off the cd...re installed a couple of times just to make sure.

snoopy
15-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Have you checked in the device manager that the correct driver is actually installed ? XP has a habit of knowing best.

Have you tried the modem in a different PCI slot ?

snoopy
15-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Another thought, maybe you might need to put a ADSL filter on the modem cable ? The modem might be a bit picky

Capt.Hook
15-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Filters are all in place, it's a real head scratcher this one.
Thanks all for trying, I'll get back if we work it out.

Hook.

I'm more worried about the funny look he gets in his eye as he passes my computer.Better put a password on I think.

beama
15-07-2006, 01:40 PM
you say the new modem has two output jack, swap the cable to the other jack and try again

Renmoo
15-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Tried disabling dial tone yet?

Graham L
15-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Make sure the modem knows it's in NZ. The dial tones are different in some countries.