PDA

View Full Version : Winxp pro boot from cd problem

Mateo
14-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to format and reinstall XP pro and it detects the dvd drives but wont detect the cd in the DVD drives, It bypasses the boot from cd and boots from the hard drive because when it auto checks for a cdrom it finds nothing. I've tried to change the boot sequence in the bios by disabling everthing except boot from cd and it says it cant find the cd and that i need to insert the system disk or something. The cd is the same cd i previously used to install Winxp originally on this computer and it detected the winxp cd fine then.
And I can use the dvd drives when in winxp, Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Thank you,
Mateo.

Jen
14-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi, Welcome to PressF1 :)

As it worked before, start with the basics and make sure the CD is clean from marks and scratches by giving it a good clean with a soft cloth. Then try it again.

Mateo
14-07-2006, 09:59 PM
The cd is spotless but i cleaned it anyway,
Still same prob.

FoxyMX
14-07-2006, 11:22 PM
What happens when you put that CD in the drive whilst in Windows? Does it autorun and give you a menu?

What about other bootable CDs? Do they not run either?

Vistra
14-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Try Windows XP PRO Boot disks (5 Floppies). Available from Micorosoft.

drcspy
15-07-2006, 02:08 AM
also dunno if you noticed but it wont boot all by itself from cd......it'll pop a message up saying 'press any key to boot from cd.......'

Mateo
15-07-2006, 02:25 AM
The autorun runs in XP and i dont have any other bootable cd's.
No i have never had press any key to boot from disc it always does it by itself.
First the Memory screen where you can press del to go into the bios then it has the next screen where you can press f8 to choose safe mode options, and on this screen it says "Boot from CD:" and then this disapears and it continues loading xp from the hard drive. Last time when It when it worked I came to the second screen it stopped loading and brought up a menu instead of loading from the hard drive.

What the hell is a floppy?

Laura
15-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Sorry, I can't help with your problem.
It's your last question that intrigues me.
I'm gobsmacked that someone as obviously computer-literate as you doesn't know what a floppy is.

(So are you having us on or are you young?)

A floppy disc is basically an earlier version of a CD.
The technical types here would no doubt criticise my definition if they were awake (and can still do that tomorrow) but that's the simple version.
The disks are rectangular, not circular. And they're actually hard, not floppy.Someone else can tell you why ...

My computer has the slot to play them in... as my A Drive.., but recently manufacturers haven't included those unless requested. It's a smaller compartment below the CD/DVD one.

God luck with the problem & welcome to Press F1.

Edit: And I forgot to say that floppies can still be invaluable for many things - like creating a boot disk.

drcspy
15-07-2006, 09:10 AM
well mate I'm a tech and I've booted I dunno how many pc's from teh xp cd and it always gives you the 'press any key to boot from cd' option on no matter which puter I've ever done it on.........

FoxyMX
15-07-2006, 12:04 PM
well mate I'm a tech and I've booted I dunno how many pc's from teh xp cd and it always gives you the 'press any key to boot from cd' option on no matter which puter I've ever done it on.........
I agree, which is why I asked about other bootable CDs. It appears to me that his DVD drive or computer isn't giving him the option to press a key, it just goes straight into Windows but used to give the option to boot from the CD:

Last time when It when it worked I came to the second screen it stopped loading and brought up a menu instead of loading from the hard drive.
I would suggest checking the CD with CD Check (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=579) and if that gives the all-clear then try another bootable CD. You can make one with MemTest86+ (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4226).

Let us know how you get on.

Mateo
15-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah the floppy thing was a joke, sorry.

Memtest didnt work, no matter how many times i downloaded it there was nothing in the rar file.

CDcheck returned no errors:

Info
- date: 7/15/2006
- process: Check
- source: D:\
- source volume label: 050701_1023

Basic statistics
- time elapsed: 00:04:11
- overall transfer [kB/s]: 2,428
- folders processed: 190
- files processed: 7135
- source bytes read: 595 MB (624,719,374 bytes)
- source average transfer [kB/s]: 4,156 (28X)
- source clean transfer [kB/s]: 3,931 (26X)

Errors
- errors: 0
- warnings: 0
- other: 1

Mateo
15-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Ok when I disable all boot options but cdrom i get "Disk Boot failure insert system disk and press enter" So its either not seeing the cd as a boot disk or its not seeing the cd in the dvd drive. When i stick in the CD and press enter it just says the same thing. I also have 2 dvd drives and i removed one because i thought it might be causing the problem but it wasn't.

Mateo
16-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I just noticed an error message: "Secondary ide channel no 80 conductor cable installed"

Since my dvdroms are on the secondary ide channel this is probably my problem and for some reason S.M.A.R.T capability is disabled.

I'll try some things like a new 80pin cable.

drcspy
17-07-2006, 04:30 AM
ah ......so you have more than one optical drive ?........have you tried the cd in both ?......it'll only boot from the master drive.....

FoxyMX
17-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I just noticed an error message: "Secondary ide channel no 80 conductor cable installed"

Since my dvdroms are on the secondary ide channel this is probably my problem and for some reason S.M.A.R.T capability is disabled.

I'll try some things like a new 80pin cable.
Try unplugging one of the drives so that you have one DVD drive on the secondary cable as a master by itself. You can plug it back in again later.

Mateo
20-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I tried unplugging the slave and it still wouldn't work, any other ideas?

Jen
20-07-2006, 06:49 PM
To rule out the secondary channel being the problem, try putting your DVD drive onto the primary slave connection.

I take it from your previous comments your computer does not have a floppy device?

Mateo
20-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Its the cd, I finaly found my win 98 cd and it auto detected the cd and brought up the install menu.

So I will have to find a new xp pro disc... but in windows it runs fine? so i don't know what the cause of this is.

Thanks for all your help.

Jen
20-07-2006, 07:09 PM
So I will have to find a new xp pro disc... but in windows it runs fine? so i don't know what the cause of this is.Contact Microsoft (NZ Branch) and explain your situation. They should be able to supply you with a new install CD.

rocky138
21-07-2006, 04:29 PM
This may sound silly but I have done this In the same situation.
If you are going to reformat any way, reinstall your 98, then upgrade to XP.

Yugami
27-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey guys, found this thread with a detailed google search and it's pretty much the exact problem I'm having now. I've had my comp for around 5-6 years and have reformatted it many times, but now it's been about 7 months since the last time and it's just ignoring the fact that I put in a Windows CD. It says "Boot from CD: " Then just skips along to the next boot device.

Considering the guy in this thread tried two working cd drives and I've also tried 2 different ones I'm assuming it's not a cd drive problem.

I'm pretty positive it's not a disc problem either, because I actually reburned my disc and still had the same problem. The same disc was used to reformat three of my friend's computers, so it must work...

I'm stumped on this, but I've definitely got a feeling it's a mother board problem. Mine is a gigabyte GA7VT600 fyi.

I know this is probably pointless considering this thread is like 2 years old, but wutevs. Can't seem to find much on this issue online.

Deathwish
27-02-2008, 11:16 PM
hmm, do you have more than 1 cd drive? and you've tried both? Have you checked in your bios to make your cd drive one of the primary boot devices/changed the boot order/priority? If you haven't, make sure you do so.