PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98ME won't resolve DNS names

Mike_H
14-07-2006, 01:32 PM
My daughter's flat just upgraded to broadband, so I put a LAN card in a PC running Windows 98ME and connected it. It works OK, except that it won't resolve DNS names, so 'the internet' doesn't work :annoyed:
I can ping, for example, the IP address for www.clear.net.nz and it works fine, but if I try to ping www.clear.net.nz I get an "Unknown host" error. Aarrgghh! :badpc:

This machine used to work OK with dial-up, but now it seems to be seriously confused.

Ideas, please? :help:

FoxyMX
14-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Is the computer connected directly to a router or is it using ICS?

Assuming you have a router, have you put the router's IP address in the Network Control Panel?

Mike_H
14-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Is the computer connected directly to a router or is it using ICS?

Assuming you have a router, have you put the router's IP address in the Network Control Panel?

PC is directly connected to shiny new Telecom-supplied D-Link router+switch

Yes, router address is installed as 'Default Gateway' in Control panel/Network.
'winipcfg' shows router address as Default Gateway address and DHCP Server address.

PC can see the internet, e.g from DOS prompt 'ping 203.97.33.220' works fine, but 'ping www.clear.net.nz' [which is the same address] gets the 'Unknown host' error. Also this error comes up in a flash, so it's not like it is searching around and not finding it.

snoopy
14-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Try manually inputting the DNS addresses in for your ISP,ie. right click the icon for your 98 card, TCP/IP properties, manually input the DNS server addressses.