PDA

View Full Version : P2P & NZ legal Issues

GTocher
13-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I am looking at starting up my DC++ hub after about half a year of being down and i need to know about Legal issues in NZ so i can try help myself from having any problems with the law while i have my hub running, i all ready know about the copyright issues and that i can't have copyed or cracked software on my server, so what else is there i should be looking to stop or look out for when running the server

thanks

Prescott
13-07-2006, 04:33 PM
There are several NZ hubs up and running and they dont have a problem with copyright laws, although i think ICE got shut down, but im not too sure about that.

Just make sure you have said that you are not responisble for any files that your users are sharing.

Graham L
13-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Saying that "ou are not responsible" would not be accepted as a defence, nor is ignorance of a law.

If you are providing a facility for committing an offence, you would almost certainly be held responsible for any offences committed using that facility.

You might be easy to find, if someone wanted to take action. ;)

andrew93
13-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Copyright issues aside, make it a private hub for selected members only (e.g. friends and family) with a private IP address and don't invite Joe Public...

GTocher
16-07-2006, 09:46 AM
k thanks i'll look into it as a private hub

Metla
16-07-2006, 10:59 AM
If you are providing a facility for committing an offence, you would almost certainly be held responsible for any offences committed using that facility.

Sweet, next time I get caught speeding I'll just foward the ticket to Ford and Transit.