PDA

View Full Version : Super Sick Hard Drive

CaptinMoor
13-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Hello there lady and gentlemen. Today on my win98se computer it came up with a message that the c:\ was indanger of losing its data due to some fault, I should run scandisk and back up all imprtant data. Coll maybe I would do that If I could get the bloody thinig to boot. So any way I have taken out the HDD and pluged it inot a external case and tried cloning it off onto a good HDD but keps chucking up I/O errors and make sure the door is closed and strange things like that. I guess this is because the HDD is not reponding to any command from my computer. Is there any free software out there that will be able to maybe repair it a little bit so that I can remove what I need and dump it.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Tim Moor :groan:

gibler
13-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I've found Knoppix to be quite good to get the data off dying hard drives (even ones from Macs)...

pctek
13-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Cloning with what? You can do it with Ghost, theres a number of switches you can use for it to ignore the errors.

-CRCIGNORE = Ignore CRC errors

-FRO = Forces Ghost to continue cloning even if the source contains bad clusters.

Murray P
13-07-2006, 01:50 PM
PC Inspector File Recovery.

Try a bootab;e CD, Linux Distro or rescue disk like EBCD, UBCD, Insert or BG Rescue.

Try not to write to the disc at all. If you can recover data from it, use Inspector File Recovery. or some such, to access the files if they are inaccessible once you have them on a stable disk. Leave any disc utilities, like scandisk or Seatools' alone until you have copied the files off (the disc is probably for the bin by the sounds of it anyway, but the less reqad writes the more chance of recovering data).

An other option is to use a professional data recovery service, be prepared to pay $$$$.

Good luck