PDA

View Full Version : What motherboard should it get?

Fishy
12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I am investing in a new computer at the moment (im 15 and saving up...) and i don't know what motherboard to get...Please help :)
At the moment i am getting a Seagate 120GB Hard Drive (http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_36_136&products_id=1394), a GeForce 6200 Graphics Card (http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?cPath=1_21_110&products_id=1445), a AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+ CPU (http://supercheappc.biz/site/product_info.php?products_id=150), (good old pricespy helped me find that site) and any old DVD Writer and any old case...
My friend helped me put the above list together as i know nothing about computer parts and he has no idea what motherboard for me to get. I am on a bit of a budget so if any of you have any suggestions please don't make them over and above about $150 including GST.
Thankyou!

bob_doe_nz
12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
If you can wait till about the 24th of July AMD apparently will drop their prices by around 20 to 40 percent (I think).
This ought to mean a little more bang for the buck.

gibler
12-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmmm, SuperCheap :rolleyes:

You might be disappointed if you intend playing games with that Graphics card. No mention of a power supply (you won't get away with an old one inside an old case) or amount of memory...

Anyway, one of the cheaper Asustek boards - Socket 754, SATA, PCI Express (i.e. not AGP) ought to do it.

Fishy
12-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok, thankyou i will look on pricespy now.
Is there a graphics card you recommend because i do intend on playing games, I just bought half life 2 + counter strike source thinking it would work on my computer, little did i know i have a 8mb graphics card that doesn't support opengl and my motherboard, CPU and graphics card are all joined in one so i need to replace everything.
Is there a graphics card anyone can recommend to me?

straitjacket
12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
The Asus K8N4-E seems to be a good board for the bucks - don't know if supercheap has it but you can find it at qmb http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?105481

The_End_Of_Reality
12-07-2006, 07:21 PM
And for the love of all things technological do NOT go to supercheap, I prefer Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz) They are the best that I have found, maybe a little dearer, but the service and support is amazing :thumbs:

I would personally go for socket 939 over 754 as it is more supported, I take it this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=345893) is what you suggest? Well, for an extra $10 or so you can have a 3500+ (http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=210387)

Just mt :2cents: :D

Fishy
12-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Im going to order over the net but pick the parts up at supercheaps store in Auckland City CBD or whatever. Thanks for your :2cents: but with the amount of money I have I have no choice but go for price over service and support :(
But thanks for tip about sockets :thumbs: Will definately look into that.

Vistra
12-07-2006, 07:36 PM
You might also want to think about the 3dcard (AGP OR PCI-EXPRESS). IF YOUR IN AUCKLAND PM me, I can help you out (if you want).

Also consider SATA OR ATA etc.

Shortcircuit
12-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Asus A8N-E is the way to go... support for sata2 HD, pci-e as well as pci sockets.

I've got a 6200 vid card, don't play a lot of games but most adequate so far. (has 128mb but some gamers seem to prefer a card with 256mb)

3000+ is good enough, will o/clock from 1.9g to 2.5g if you push it (venice core is the best)

You'd probably want a decent sound card/speakers as well, but the onboard sound would do for a start.

Lots of comments that Supercheap suck, Ascent would be my first choice but if you're Auck you could try QMB, possibly not too helpful if you don't know what you want but their prices are good and I've dealt with them a few times no problem.

Fishy
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok well if you have one your the best to ask :) Will the 6200 play games like half life 2 or cs source with no lag?

pctek
12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Im going to order over the net but pick the parts up at supercheaps store in Auckland City CBD or whatever. Thanks for your :2cents: but with the amount of money I have I have no choice but go for price over service and support :(
But thanks for tip about sockets :thumbs: Will definately look into that.
Then you're mad. What are you going to do when theres a problem? Start saving for more hardware again? Cause there won't be any warranty from Supercheap.

Go back and look at Pricespy again, you'll find there is very little difference between Supercheaps price and the next shop on the list.
You have been warned.

And yes, AMD CPUs will be having a 30 - 50% price drop on the 24th of this month. So if budget is so important then wait till then.

As for the graphics card, forget that. You want a minimum of a 6600GT, no less. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

Sweep
12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
As you are in JafaLand I would suggest you pop into PBTech in Penrose and ask what they can do. They know what they are doing. I have used the branch in Hamilton for a few years now.

I have bought in Auckland at their store as well but only twice.

No problems at either branch.

razzarphenix
12-07-2006, 10:29 PM
As you are in JafaLand I would suggest you pop into PBTech in Penrose and ask what they can do. They know what they are doing. I have used the branch in Hamilton for a few years now.

Haha youve obviously never returned a few motherboards then! I used to live in hamilton and built systems for many people but after putting up with a few return issues with pbtech due to faulty capacitors on the motherboard and the difficulty with dealing with them I wont touch them with a barge poll. I admit I havent purchased anything from the auckland store since moving here but then why would I?

Yes your not likely to get much of a warranty with super cheap but at least you know it :)

As for me Ascent.co.nz, pp.co.nz, nfc.co.nz are good places to purchase that or just get a reseller account at ingram micro etc.. and cut out the middle men.

Sweep
12-07-2006, 10:57 PM

Haha youve obviously never returned a few motherboards then! I used to live in hamilton and built systems for many people but after putting up with a few return issues with pbtech due to faulty capacitors on the motherboard and the difficulty with dealing with them I wont touch them with a barge poll. I admit I havent purchased anything from the auckland store since moving here but then why would I?

Yes your not likely to get much of a warranty with super cheap but at least you know it http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/smile.gif

As for me Ascent.co.nz, pp.co.nz, nfc.co.nz are good places to purchase that or just get a reseller account at ingram micro etc.. and cut out the middle men.

Well I talk to Du in Hamilton and have returned three motherboards, one modem and three sticks of RAM. One RAM stick was out of warranty so had no replacement for that which I did not complain about. I recently bought an HP DVD writer for lightscribe and returned with replacement and no question. The replacement of same make and model died within weeks. This one was replaced at no charge and a credit. Your mileage may vary of course.

Wich make and model of motherboard did you have problems with? Two of mine were Soltek and the other was Gigabyte.

Thank you very much for your assumption.

gkar
12-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, back to the subject at hand. I'm not sure how hard you want to power-use the project. I bought this (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_5796.html) for my HTPC a while back & it does everything I want except fire up from my USB keyboard & with the price drop you could invest the excess into a games-orientated (6***GT) graphics card-or a good CPU cooler. The only caveat is that it has no Firewire header on the mobo, so if you've got any Firewire peripherals, then no-go.

If you are looking to do any serious multimedia eg. DVD playback I would recommend staying with an Nvidia chipset mobo & the AMD is the way to go because it requires less cooling than comparitive Intel CPUs at present, which means less fans=less noise :D

quarry
12-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Yes your not likely to get much of a warranty with super cheap but at least you know it :)

you can't just get a reseller account at ingram - you need to fill an application form with real computer trade references. in any case - they don't sell the cheap stuff.

Shortcircuit
13-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok well if you have one your the best to ask :) Will the 6200 play games like half life 2 or cs source with no lag?

I'd have to pass on that one, all I can tell you is reading from the box:

128mb, supports directx 9 shader model 3, Ultrashadow 2 (good for 'dark' games like Doom 3 it says), 64 bit texture filter/blending, on chip video processor etc.

Someone who plays games might be able to tell you if it's adequate :confused:

bob_doe_nz
13-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Someone who plays games might be able to tell you if it's adequate :confused:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/index.html

Anywho, Bed and work in the morning calls...

Fishy
13-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Thankyou for all your help guys!
Looks like i will scrap the 6200 video card and go for the 6600GT and i am not buying from supercheap, im just going to save up some more money because as someone quite rightly pointed out, what am i going to do when something goes wrong! And it looks like im going for socket 939 now as people have said that is better.
Im going to wait for AMD's price drop as well because that will help me out ALOT to.
God, i am so glad i asked you guys before going out and buying all this!

SolMiester
13-07-2006, 01:30 PM
You might also want to think about the 3dcard (AGP OR PCI-EXPRESS). IF YOUR IN AUCKLAND PM me, I can help you out (if you want).

Also consider SATA OR ATA etc.

Holy C R A P batman, that PC is sick I tell you. You should be allowed to advertise that machine, its just not fair. Tell me is the 2nd 7950 worth it?, didnt think quad sli was working at the mo!

pctek
13-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Thankyou for all your help guys!
Looks like i will scrap the 6200 video card and go for the 6600GT and i am not buying from supercheap, im just going to save up some more money because as someone quite rightly pointed out, what am i going to do when something goes wrong! And it looks like im going for socket 939 now as people have said that is better.
Im going to wait for AMD's price drop as well because that will help me out ALOT to.
God, i am so glad i asked you guys before going out and buying all this!
Good for you!