PDA

View Full Version : boot up challenges

ironman
12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I have recently built a new pc and loaded windows xp pro.

I have 2 challenges.

1. When it starts up I am asked "which o/s do I want to load win xp or win xp! If I choose the first option it starts loading, if I choose the second option it tells me, " windows cannot start because <windows root> \system32\hal.dll. is missing" I would like to get rid of the two options so it loads normally and thus get rid of this error message.

2. When it does load up I get a "Log on to windows" pop-up inviting me to put in a password. I just press "ok" and it caries on but I want to get rid of this window too as I don't need it.

Any ideas?

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

Fishy
12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I have no idea whatsoever about your first problem but this page will help you be able to automatically logon to windows (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231)

borax
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
For your second problem goto Control Panel - System - Advanced - Start Up and Recovery settings and then delete the offending item at the top, default operating system options.

Easy when you know how !!

TGoddard
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
You need to install Windows XP Pro destructively, formatting the partition instead of simply installing to it. There should be an option to format the partition if you install it again. The quick format is usually fine.

Trying to run more than one operating system from the same partition is very error-prone and should not be attempted except when absolutely desparate.

nzace
12-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Yo My hard drive is partitioned and when I start up I have the two options to go too.Maybe if you check U may have the same. cheers terry