PDA

View Full Version : Photo organising

Mike
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I have a lot of photos that my wife and I have taken on the digital camera. We have been just taking them off the camera into a folder on the PC. This was fine when we first got it because there weren't many photos. Now there's almost 3000 photos :D and I need a way to sort them.

Is there a way to somehow organise all these photos into new folders based on the date the photo was taken (as opposed to the modify/copy date that they sometimes get when copied off the camera)? I know I'd end up with some folders with only one or two photos in, but that's fine - it makes remembering what they're of easier as I get older ;) :p

Mike.

Cicero
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a lot of photos that my wife and I have taken on the digital camera. We have been just taking them off the camera into a folder on the PC. This was fine when we first got it because there weren't many photos. Now there's almost 3000 photos :D and I need a way to sort them.

Is there a way to somehow organise all these photos into new folders based on the date the photo was taken (as opposed to the modify/copy date that they sometimes get when copied off the camera)? I know I'd end up with some folders with only one or two photos in, but that's fine - it makes remembering what they're of easier as I get older ;) :p

Mike.
Have a look at this...
http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

tutaenui
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Picasa is a fine program but I think you would still have to manually sort the pictures into individual folders. However Picasa can sort pictures in a selected folder by creation date.

Nomad
12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Use your camera software to look at them via the thumbprints.

Chances is the camera names the photos at a ascending order. So what you can do is click roughly at it trying to obtain the photo that was taken on 2 May vs 1 May etc etc... then pop those in folders manually.

You can view the EXIF data with the camera software.
For the Canon software on the view menu it has "sort by shooting date". But it does not have a filter function. Which is quite similar to the following ...

This is not present in Nikon. But basically you can work around that such as if on a 2 week holiday you shot 5000 photo's, the camera names them ascending order, you just roughly click it to get the photo that was the first of that particular date. Copy paste etc ... or use the move function etc etc....

There is more work involved with digital :D in organising, not to mention photo editing, backing up etc.

The best is actually deal with them after the occasion so you don't have an alvalanche to deal with.

Have a look of your software it just may have a filter function.

I just used Nikon View and it has a search function. Turn into user defined and you can search via date of shooting and filter it from XX date to YY date. You can search via ZZ folder and incl subfolders. So have a look of that via your software, also have a look at automation as well it may have some drop down menu's that allow you to define it.

Hokonui
13-07-2006, 12:01 AM
I've spent some time looking for software that will organise in much the way you describe and haven't found anything especially useful, though I must admit I haven't looked at the big name packages like Adobe or Corel. I've found is as Nomad suggests, sort as you go.

The following can be pretty useful however, both are viewers foremost with some editing function but they can help with sorting - FastStone Image Viewer & XnView.

Nomad
13-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Unless people can correct me, people can use other manufacturer's software for a different branded digital camera is ok?

I have a Nikon camera. You can download Nikon View. This works with my Canon camera as well or with any pictures you may download on the Internet. This does it. www.nikonusa.com and go to software downloads then its there some where... Around 30MB I guess.

Use search function, left side bar pops up, and choose user defined and then set your settings you wish to use.