PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Data

heaton
12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Windows XP would not load. Took it to where purchased as under extended warranty. Without even trying to save data they just wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows. Lost a lot of stuff but had backups for most.
Did a Belarc adviser and it tells me that a lot of Microsoft security hotfixes are not there. Went into microsoft and downloaded a lot of updates starting with a K. The hotfixes described in Belarc all start with a Q.
How can I make sure I have got all the security things in place ?

Jen
12-07-2006, 07:08 PM
That was rather unprofessional not to back up your data first unless the hard drive had a fault that rendered the data unrescuable. Did they even mention this to you?

For your updates, just visit the Windows Update and make sure you select the critical and security updates to be installed.

Make sure you have got a good third party firewall and updated antivirus installed.

heaton
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
That was rather unprofessional not to back up your data first unless the hard drive had a fault that rendered the data unrescuable. Did they even mention this to you?

For your updates, just visit the Windows Update and make sure you select the critical and security updates to be installed.

Make sure you have got a good third party firewall and updated antivirus installed.

Visited Wndows update and downloaded a about 1Mb of stuff but the files all started with a K. No sign of any that started with a Q.
Message appeared that said I was all up to date but Belarc says I need all these Q Hotfixes so bit confused.
And yes I made sure I activated Zone Alarm and AVG before I ventured back into that great void called cyberspace. Thanks for your reply.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Forget what Belarc says. If Windowsupdate says you're up to date, that should be good enough.

There SHOULD definitely be more than 1MB of updates for XP.

More like 30-40+ mb of updates. If SP2 wasnt part of the install.

pctek
12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
That was rather unprofessional not to back up your data first unless the hard drive had a fault that rendered the data unrescuable.
well actually Jen, although I do or at least ask them if they have backups, which they should - its not usually standard practice for shops to do that for customers. Most of them have a notice stating its the customers responsibilty to have backups.

Erayd
12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Yes, but wouldn't it be standard to at least back up likely-looking stuff (the 'my documents' folder for instance)? It's not hard, and it makes the customers happy :D

Sweep
12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, but wouldn't it be standard to at least back up likely-looking stuff (the 'my documents' folder for instance)? It's not hard, and it makes the customers happy http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Every computer shop I have been into have a standard of, "Loss of DATA is your responsibility." This is why everyone should backup or copy data before they have a problem. I do try and find data but I found a lot of downloaded music files in a sub directory of Windows on one computer I fixed. This was as the daughter did not want Dad to find them. Who knows where people save things?

The "My Documents" folder on my computer is not on the C: drive anyway. It is on another separate hard drive and also on an external drive and also on DVDs elsewhere.

You might consider that I am overly concerned but I was bitten once and I am more than twice shy.

I agree that PC repair people should at least ask about data before doing a format and I do that. Some people say there is nothing on there that I want then realise that the photos are there and ring back. This is why a PC will sit and I don't even look at it for a day. Gives them time to think.

gibler
12-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Hehe the problem is that most people have no idea where their data is saved. You get the people who couldn't care if they lost everything, through to the person who wants their Office autocorrect list back..

Even stranger, are the people who leave and just leave behind a pile of old files including personal correspondence.

To save my backside I just grab the whole user profile minus any temp files/cache etc, have a quick hunt for any folders in the root of the drive and dump it all on a networked drive. Mac OS 9 was real nice to deal with - people had files all over the place.

I find that restoring the original wallpaper seems to keep the punters happy :D

heaton
13-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I was most interested in the back up of data comments. I have an external hard drive and using Acronis I backed up my entire hard drive but this was about four months out of date. However despite the fact that I took this drive into the service department they did not even look at it.
This is a large well known firm and the serviceman there did not impress me at all. It sat on the shelf for the first two weeks and when I sought further information as to what might have been the trouble I was greeted with a glazed like stare and some mumbled comments that it might have been a power spike.
Thanks again for all your interest.

Murray P
13-07-2006, 02:03 PM
well actually Jen, although I do or at least ask them if they have backups, which they should - its not usually standard practice for shops to do that for customers. Most of them have a notice stating its the customers responsibilty to have backups.

WHich just says to me that the standard of care in computer shops/workshops is crap. Whether you can infer a duty of care is another matter, but the shop should at least enquire as to the satus of the data and if necessary advise on recovery methods if the data is not or is partially backed up.

Greg
13-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Heaton - ignore the difference between the K and Q prefixes - it's the numbers that count.

Ie, if Belarc tells you that Q918439 is needed, and you download and install KB918439 and run Belarc again, you'll find that that fix is no longer listed as being required.