PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Installation - Can you believe this?????

Bob_Bond
12-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Okay

About 4 weeks ago when I first new we were moving to a new house I phoned Telecom and told them I was shifting house and for them to change my broadband over to the new address. They confirmed that it wasn't a problem because the exchange was the same so I could keep broadband.

Anyway, they cut my existing broadband off about 3 days early at the exchange and moved it to the new line so that it would be there when I got to the new place - a bit annoying, but they at least gave me free dial up minutes to compensate.

Anyway, on the Friday (30 June) we move in and late that afternoon the Telecom technician comes round and checks the lines. "Oh" he tells me, "you're too far from the exchange here so you can't get broadband." I asked what I could do so he suggested I try contacting some other ISPs and Telstra.

I ring Telstra and they tell me that there are no Telstra cables in my area so they only resell Telecom's service so if Telecom can't provide service then neither can they. I ring Slingshot and get told the same thing.

I phone Telecom back. I ask them what alternatives they can provide before I start contacting other service providers. They tell me that I can get wireless internet. Here's the kicker. It has a maximum speed of 256Kbps and I can get a data download limit of 1Gb per month (for about $59 per month). (ooh a whole 1Gb per month)...But to install costs $700 as a technician has to come out and "callibrate and direct" the wireless modem to work properly. I don't know anything about it, so for them to do it would be a good idea, but I wasn't prepared to pay that much.

I phoned iHug. I asked if they still do Satellite internet. "Yes we do" they told me, "but we have to put you through to our technical service desk as they know more about it". So I get put on hold and nobody answers the phone. This happens about 5 times.

Eventually I phone them around 10:30pm one evening and get through to their technical help desk in Australia. "Oh" they say, "iHug was bought out about 3 years ago and sold the satellite portion of the service to another company called Bordernet.co.nz. They're really good at providing satellite internet and manage a very stable service."

The next day I phone iHug again and amazingly get through to their Technical desk in NZ and they confirm the above. So...I ring Bordernet who hold themselves out as "Australia's number one rural internet service provider" I couldn't believe my ears. Here I am sitting in a major suburb in NZs second largest city (the Capital for goodness sakes) and I have to use a RURAL Internet service provider.

Anyway, that evening I was speaking to one of our new neighbours and told him the tale of woe. When I mentioned that Telstra said they had no cables in the area he says: "Oh yes, that's a Saturn cable there." And points to this huge cable running right down the private road over the top of our carport and terminating at a pole about 20 metres from our house.

The next day (yesterday) I phone Telstra and tell them there's a cable running right down next to the house and asked again why they can't provide service. They tell me that apparently because our house is within 100 metres of their cable they can't provide service because of some Telecom ruling and that was that if I had any questions I had to contact Telecom.

So I ring Telecom again. Telecom call centre skoff at this "What?" they say, "we've never heard of this - we'll check with our technical legal area"....a few minutes later the call centre operator comes back. She couldn't believe it either. Apparently there is some Commerce Commission and Government ruling to PREVENT ANTI-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOUR, where there are two major competitors in a single area (so both Telecom and Telstra having cables) neither company can provide service to any house or business within 100 metres of it's own main cable. So Telecom can't provide service to anyone within 100 metres of its main cables and vice versa.
I couldn't believe it...

Anyway, I blew my top. I said that this was just an unacceptable situation and just let them have it.

The call centre operator went away a bit to see what any neighbours near by had done regarding broadband and if any of them had it.

She comes back and tells me that I CAN get broadband and it will be a good reliable service all I need to do is get the wiring and installation option which costs $150. So now they are going to be coming to do the installation, but this is the cool bit - it involves them placing a splitter and amplifier on the Telecom cable direct to our line so that our Broadband signal gets boosted (or so I was told).....

I was really angry because the technician had been AT THE HOUSE and hadn't mentioned it as an option. Anyway, we had to wait till Tuesday (yesterday) for them to come and do this, but at least we would be getting broadband (or so we thought).

What a pain.

So yesterday the technician comes around.

Apparently the wiring at the house is fine and the problem is on the exchange side. In the meantime, the technician can't fix the exchange problem because the whole exchange looks like "a plate of spaghetti".

I just phoned Telecom and apparently the matter has been referred to a "Build team" who have to review the problem, then consider the network design and come up with a new design for that part of the network and then implement the solution. As far as it was explained to me they have to come up with this new design and solution (not the implementation) within 3 working days. They should ring me (or I ring them if I haven't heard) by close of business on Tuesday at the latest.

It just goes on and on :(

I will try to keep you posted on how things go - if anyone is interested, but this is just the most bizarre situation and I am TOTALLY HOPPING MAD!!!

Anyone else had problems like this?

pctek
12-07-2006, 01:46 PM
So yesterday the technician comes around.

Apparently the wiring at the house is fine and the problem is on the exchange side. In the meantime, the technician can't fix the exchange problem because the whole exchange looks like "a plate of spaghetti".

I'd believe that. 3rd party contractors. Apprentice 3rd party contractors.
I've seen it. And apart form the horrendous cabling mess half the time nothings been labelled either.

It will go back to the contractors. They can trace it, he probably just hated the idea of having to do that.

Terry Porritt
12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I can well believe every word, not only that, but can believe it is actually worse than you describe, because it's impossible to fully describe the utmost shambles that go on between Telecom and Telstra Clear.

One thing is certain, both organisations tell a pack of lies/ and or show utmost ignorance in this sort of situation, trying to get at what is really happening is almost impossible.

My saga with both bunches of no hopers goes back to last June through August when trying to sign up with Telstra for ADSL over phone line in order to stay with Paradise. Keeping it short, signed up with Telstra, then told 2 weeks later it's not possible because Telecom say I cant.

Reason given, I'm in a Telstra cable area. However the nearest cable terminations are 500 metres away, at either end of road.

Write lots of letters, emails, see my MP, get run arounds from both organisations, lots of untruths told by both etc etc.

Eventually. I'm a special case, and I get connected up with Telstra. Good -oh. This lasts about 3 weeks.
Then I get a bill from Telecom for service I am no longer getting from them. Ring up and point this out, could they send me a new bill?

Next morning Telecom have disconnected my ADSL connection at the exchange. There is no way I can get connected back with Telstra, same old saga about being in a cable area, each organisation blames the other.

I am then forced to go to Xtra for ADSL instead of Paradise/Telstra.

However I can't complain about the service I've had from Xtra since last August :)

Graham L
12-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Isn't the deregulated competitive environment just wonderful? Just wait and see what happens when the local loop becomes "free".

Bob_Bond
18-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Okay, well here's the latest :)

As I said the whole broadband connection had to be referred to a "build team" to sort out some wiring problem at the exchange.

Telescum told me I could expect a phone call by the end of business yesterday to tell me what they planned to do about it.

As of this morning - no phone call - so I decided to give Telescum a ring instead.

The nice lady at the call centre puts me on hold and goes off to talk to their "Technical Support". A few minutes later she comes back and tells me that a technician came out to my house yesterday and that my connection will be "switched on" tomorrow.

I asked why it couldn't be done today, given how long I have been waiting now. I was told that some people have to wait till the 30th and tomorrow is a good turn around time.

In the meantime, I'm trying to study for a professional exam and review online articles, download huge PDFs to read (all on a dial up).

So....we shall see. Tomorrow after 6pm I am told I should be able to just plug in my router and all will be well with the world. Well, Telescum, you better hope so!!!

I'll let you all know what happens :waughh:

Bob_Bond
19-07-2006, 01:19 PM
:mad: Here's another one :)

I just received a phone call from ANOTHER technician. He tells me that Telescum gave him the job code for "Failed Broadband"...This apparently means that I had broadband and then it stopped working (rocket science I know), but the problem is, I never had broadband at this address to begin with!!!

So, the technician looked into it....

He tells me, that it's no wonder I can't get broadband because they need to run your phone line through some special ADSL port at the exchange (otherwise it's just a phone line). In my case, they don't seem to have allocated one of these ADSL ports for my line. Apparently there are HEAPS of them there, just not allocated.

The technician is going to try to sort this out and get a port allocated so that when I leave work early AGAIN to go and meet him (ANOTHER) Telescum technician at my house to sort out this broadband thing once and for all AGAIN, hopefully this time it will work.

I am SOOOOOOO mad at Telescum right now. :mad:

braindead
19-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Bob_Bond,
Interesting stuff. Sounds like Telecom and TelstraClear can't find their butts with both hands on a sunny day. Why not send the contents of this thread to Cunliffe, Minister of Communications.

dcunliffe@ministers.govt.nz

zqwerty
19-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Welcome to Roger Douglas/Richard Prebbles' (New Right Vision) brave new New Zealand of increased efficiency due to competition caused by privatisation.

FoxyMX
19-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Interesting stuff. Sounds like Telecom and TelstraClear can't find their butts with both hands on a sunny day.
LMAO :lol:

Billy T
19-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Why not send the contents of this thread to Cunliffe, Minister of Communications.

dcunliffe@ministers.govt.nz
Because the minute Cunliffe sees "Telescum" the sender's credibility flies right out the window and he hits the delete button, that's why not.

I would too. People who can't complain without using abusive or derogatory language get nowhere. Persistence, politeness and patience get you everywhere.

My list of wins just keeps on growing, the latest being a new phone plus $30 credit from, you guessed it, Telecom and I'm working on getting three free phones next because the problem is generic to the particular model of phone.

Politeness never fails, it helps people to empathise with you and then they want to do anything they can to help.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Insulting language is a pitiful excuse for poor communication skills or a weak argument. If you can't be right, be wrong louder and with bigger insults than anybody else.

Bob_Bond
19-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Ugh, woteva Billy T - like I speak to Telescum like that directly.

I do agree though - being polite is much better. In fact, when I speak to them, I empathise.

Of course, that's not to say I'm not going to push for a big fat discount/refund on my bill.

Anyway, here's the latest.

The technician comes out to the house today and we plug in my router. What do you know, IT CONNECTS!!!.....no, that's not the end. :rolleyes:

It connects to ADSL, but there is no traffic coming down the pipe. The technician tries his own Telescum issue modem. The same thing - it connects to ADSL, but does not actually let any traffic flow.

He rings up their little internal helpdesk thingy and guess what the latest problem is.

The GENIUS technician who came out the first time and suggested I go to Telstra, decided (of his own accord) that since in his view I couldn't get broadband, he rolled back the job order from a broadband installation to simply a phone line connection. So now, I'm plugged into an ADSL port for phone and broadband at the exchange, but THEY TURNED THE FLIPPIN PORT OFF!!!!! :angry

I really don't know what rocket scientists they have working there, but OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Anyway, the technician who was here today was a really great guy and REALLY helpful. He went out of his way to help even squeezing in another trip to the exchange to try to find out what the problem was. He also sat on the phone to their internal helpdesk for almost half an hour (mostly on hold) to try and resolve it. :thumbs:

Then, while he was at the exchange he rings me up to keep me in the loop - apparently their (Telescum's) computer system was running really slow, so the port couldn't be turned on today - they were going to keep trying till about 8pm tonight, but the technician had left instructions for them to ring him immediately when it was on (up till 4:30pm) so that he could get out to the exchange and switch it over for me.

Since he didn't ring, it looks like it didn't happen by 4:30pm, but he also promised that if they didn't get it on by 4:30pm tonight he would do it first thing in the morning (and I actually believe him).

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow. :badpc:

Bob_Bond
20-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Okay...I'm not exactly sure if this is where the story ends, but we shall see.

I have broadband now - at last.

Thanks so much to the technician I was referring to in my last post. He was super helpful and kept his promise to get my broadband all sorted out and switched on this morning. :thumbs:

The only problem now (and I know at least I have broadband) is that the speed is unbelievably slow. I'm only getting about 400Kbps (instead of the 3.5Mbps I am paying for).

Now before people jump in with you can't always get that speed....I know!

At my last place I rarely got more than 1.6 or 1.8Mbps (but that's still about 4 times faster than what I'm getting now).

I shall be phoning TeleCOM to see if they can sort anything out and finally if I can get a discount of some sort. In the meantime, those speeds really suck for online gaming ;)

stu161204
20-07-2006, 01:57 PM
The only problem now (and I know at least I have broadband) is that the speed is unbelievably slow. I'm only getting about 400Kbps (instead of the 3.5Mbps I am paying for).

400kb/s is GREAT! I donít know what your complying about, thatís the best you will get.

gibler
20-07-2006, 02:03 PM
400kb/s is GREAT! I donít know what your complying about, thatís the best you will get.

a capital B is a byte so I think he was talking about bits...

straitjacket
20-07-2006, 02:15 PM

400 Kilobits per second would make d/l speed about 50 KiloBytes Per Second...hardly blazingly fast broadband considering I was whinging about mine only doing 220 - 240 KiloBytes / sec :badpc:

stu161204
20-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Bob_Bond > are you talking about 400byte/s or 400 bits/s?

jesseycy
20-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Okay...I'm not exactly sure if this is where the story ends, but we shall see.

I have broadband now - at last.

Thanks so much to the technician I was referring to in my last post. He was super helpful and kept his promise to get my broadband all sorted out and switched on this morning. :thumbs:

Now before people jump in with you can't always get that speed....I know!

At my last place I rarely got more than 1.6 or 1.8Mbps (but that's still about 4 times faster than what I'm getting now).

I shall be phoning TeleCOM to see if they can sort anything out and finally if I can get a discount of some sort. In the meantime, those speeds really suck for online gaming ;)

Well, he's talking about Kbps, which is Kilo-bytes per second... And he mentioned that it's now 4 times slower than what he got, which was 1.6-1.8Mbps...

Which would mean that... yea, your broadband speed is quite slow. There was a while with my connection too that it hovered around that mark, and it still does now during the peak times for an hour or two...

But other times, mine, and my friends' generally reach about 1.5Mbps at least, when it's off peak. Pester your ISP, and whine and whine about it.... Ask them to run all sorts of tests, liek congestion tests, etc.

pctek
20-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Ah lucky you, you have one of those Exchanges just like mine.
The advantage of being with Xtra is after you spend ages doing their speed tests and reporting back to them etc, you can then lose patience and insist on a refund every month until they upgrade it.

Like I do.

straitjacket
20-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, he's talking about Kbps, which is Kilo-bytes per second... And he mentioned that it's now 4 times slower than what he got, which was 1.6-1.8Mbps...

ummm no.....400 Kilobytes per second (KBps) is equivalent to a 3.3Mbps connection (being that 1 kilobyte equals 8.192 kilobits ) 400 kilobytes * 8.192 = 3276 Kilobits per second

Bob_Bond
20-07-2006, 08:07 PM
All I know about the speed is when I go to the speed test at:
http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

It tells me that
"Your line speed is approximately 206.5 Kbps or 25.3 K bytes/sec
( Where kb = kilobits and kB = kiloBytes )"

Seems pretty darned slow to me.

In the meantime I phoned Telecom about a discount. The lady on the phone agreed to a 1 month free connection immediately. I said I wanted more than that since it wasn't only a delay it was a major inconvenience and disruption (I am studying for my Chartered Accountant's exam) so need to download LOTS of readings.

The lady said she would have asked for 3 months free, but said that she would talk to her Team Leader and see what they can sort out.....in the meantime then.............a little boy waits :)

DeSade
20-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I recently got a $150 refund from telescum for my slow broadband speeds (similar to yours).

They told me that yes the line is congested at peak times but no, there are no plans to upgrade the exchange at this time.

So they know there is a problem, they know its their fault, and they are not going to fix it.

Once I rack up another 3 months of slow service I will be demanding another $150 refund.

Erayd
20-07-2006, 08:59 PM
...being that 1 kilobyte equals 8.192 kilobitsUmmm.... what? No it doesn't - 1 kilobyte equals exactly 8 kilobits.
1 Byte = 8 bits
1 Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes (8 bits X 1024), or 8192 Bits
1 Kilobit = 1024 Bits
So: 1 Kilobyte (8192) divided by 1 Kilobit (1024) = exactly 8

straitjacket
21-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Ummm.... what? No it doesn't - 1 kilobyte equals exactly 8 kilobits.
1 Byte = 8 bits
1 Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes (8 bits X 1024), or 8192 Bits
1 Kilobit = 1024 Bits
So: 1 Kilobyte (8192) divided by 1 Kilobit (1024) = exactly 8

Seeing as I was referring to internet and not data storage conventions -

Kilobit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The standard definition is 1 kilobit = 10(to the power of)3 = 1,000 bits. In the context of storage-memory and address-space sizes, the alternative binary definition of 2(to the power of)10 = 1,024 bits is occasionally used (see Binary prefix), although this usage is ambiguous.

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobit

Certain units are always understood as decimal even in computing contexts. For example, hertz (Hz), which is used to measure clock rates of electronic components, and bit/s, used to measure bit rate. So a 1 GHz processor performs 1,000,000,000 clock ticks per second, a 128 kbit/s MP3 stream consumes 128,000 bits (16 kB, 15.625 KiB) per second, and a 1 Mbit/s Internet connection can transfer 1,000,000 bits (125 kB, approx 122 KiB) per second (assuming an 8-bit byte, and no overhead).

zqwerty
21-07-2006, 01:32 AM
straitjacket, it would be better to back out gracefully, counting frequencies and counting in binary are only superficially similar.

straitjacket
21-07-2006, 01:33 AM
So Bob, apart from dish out refunds, are they actually gonna do anything about your speeds?

straitjacket
21-07-2006, 01:35 AM
straitjacket, it would be better to back out gracefully, counting frequencies and counting in binary are only superficialy similar.

granted, but I never learned to back down gracefully, and I especially missed the lesson on "keep your mouth shut and let ppl think you're stupid...etc" :o

Apteryx
21-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Thank the Great Gaea for your perseverance. This makes very depressing but familiar reading. I bet you live in the Western Hills? I had half the same runaround but only half because I actually believed all the lies and gave up and am stuck with dialup. I hold no hope for unbundling.
I do hope this message gets to Cunliffe and every electoral politician going.
I will start all over agin now.

Bob_Bond
21-07-2006, 08:23 AM
So Bob, apart from dish out refunds, are they actually gonna do anything about your speeds?

Well I don't know, straitjacket. I was going to wait for them to at least sort out the discount regarding the connection before getting stuck in on the speed issue, but after reading some of the posts above I think I might at least start querying the speeds now though........maybe I'll wait till after my PAS (part of the CA exam buildup thing) workshop this weekend.

I bet you live in the Western Hills?

No, Apteryx, actually otherside of the city. I live up on the hill above Scorching Bay.

Part of the problem (as they tell me) is that the nearest exchange is the Miramar exchange (which is about 5kms away). It's pretty dumb that the only exchange on the whole Miramar peninsula is in Miramar, which leaves large suburbs like Strathmore and Seatoun so far from the exchange that they can't get broadband at any reasonable speeds. Especially since we all know who lives in Seatoun <koff> Peter "I can direct anything" Jackon <koff>. (Maybe he gets a direct fibre optic cable run to his house.......or isn't within 100 metres of a Telstra cable - ROFL). :D

pctek
21-07-2006, 09:45 AM
I recently got a $150 refund from telescum for my slow broadband speeds (similar to yours).

They told me that yes the line is congested at peak times but no, there are no plans to upgrade the exchange at this time.

So they know there is a problem, they know its their fault, and they are not going to fix it.

Once I rack up another 3 months of slow service I will be demanding another $150 refund.
Really? They know mine isn't peak times, its all the time.
And I get the refund each month, not after 3.....its permanently on my file now, so at least I can skip the helpdesk and just go straight to accounts and don't have to go through the whole whinge every time now.
I've been encouraging everyone else off my exchange to do the same too.
When the total cost of refunding everyone exceeds or matches the cost of fixing the exchange then they'll fix it.