PDA

View Full Version : Network over powerline

Taurus
11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Has anyone tried running a network at home using the powerline? What are the pros and cons of it. Any advice would be greatky appreciated. Below is the product fron Dynalink.

Dynalink Turbo Homeplug 2Pk Ethernet Over Power + Includes Bonus NP2005 5 Port Switch ! NP285 (DYN2286A)

Rob99
12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
I wouldnt, dont know why but I wouldnt.

But hey not my money, and Dynalink normally make good products.

pctek
12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
"The Turbo HomePlug is the next generation of the popular HomePlug Ethernet over Power Adaptor. It increases data transfer rates up to 85Mbps - making it a powerful and simple networking solution for homes and small business. Now you can create a Local Area Network (LAN) over the home or office"

Sounds dodgy to me. when I used to do structured cabling, you'd be shot unning ethernet anywhere near power cables.

And how does this thing "increase" your data transfer rate???

Chris Keall
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
PC World Reviews Editor Scott Bartley checked out one locally available kit, HomePlug. See here. (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/a4792c3d54d31006cc2571160036ff86/cabbd7bb7ed251a5cc25712200158cc0!OpenDocument&Highlight=2,powerline)

And And our This Month in Cyberspace columnist Paul Brislen covered a rival kit called Neverwire. See here (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/a4792c3d54d31006cc2571160036ff86/75fd0c2f64166d03cc256dc500047abc?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,AC%2FDC).

Rob99
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
$214 a unitFar out!!!
Thats one expensive way to network.

Chris Keall
12-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Paul's review was a couple of years back, so poss. it's cheaper now ... or maybe not since powerline networking's still so niche. Don't imagine they have much economy of scale in terms of manufacturing.

Dragonslayer
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I have a couple of these units at home, they are FANTASTIC!
I am using it for my VoIP ATA adaptor that is in the kitchen next to the telephone. Using this, I can network the Internet connection from the power plug in the kitchen to the power plug in the computer room, which means I do not need to run LAN cable.
I have another one downstairs, where the wireless signal from my ADSL router is not strong enough, and have a access point plugged in to it, giving greater wireless distance.
The third one I have is on my XBOX 360, so I can play LIVE games without having to run LAN cables.
I have never had a problem with them, and at 85 Mbps, the speed is better than Wireless, and FAR FAR easier to configure. Just plug it in, and thats it. It even runs through a multi-board (On the XBOX 360).

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2006, 11:24 AM
It sounds like a cool idea, though for that price I'd rather go Wireless :D

Dragonslayer
12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
It sounds like a cool idea, though for that price I'd rather go Wireless :D

I found it cheaper in the long run, and more reliable than wireless for the devices I use.
To configure the ATA adaptor for wireless, I would have to use an Access Point, and then I have the issues with configuration, and reliability. Also my missus doesn't like a lot of clutter in the kitchen.
I would then also need another access point for the XBOX 360.

Taurus
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments. We always believe the notion that power and signal cables are not supposed to run side by side. The only positive part of Network over powerline is less wiring.

I am not ready for wireless especially with hackers always one step ahead and the numbers of protection software needed in the system and the costs involved just to keep updated. Then there's not even any guarantee by the vendors. I don't mean to say that non-wireless networks are safe. I may consider network over powerline in another 6-12 months when there are more brands available and the market more developed.

Thanks again. It's really helpful.

Cptn Hotshot
21-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a couple of these units at home, they are FANTASTIC!

That is very interesting because the NZ Herald has done an article today (21 July '06) on this subject with a positive review of a product on the market with the performance being on par with wireless performance.

Who stock these products locally in the Auckland area?

Ninjabear
21-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I've used such service overseas.

It was a 1.5Mbps connection.

It was quite fast.Faster than Adsl.lol.Didn't have any problems with latency or connectivity issue.

I think it was a white cable that was plugged into the wall and it came in plugging into the modem

You don't actually get to see the powerline of course otherwise you'll be electrocuted.

I remember there was a round hole and a white cable went in.
Dunno what type of cable it is. though..

But then my father said to me that the maximum that the powerline could give was 1.5mbps so he ditched that upgraded to 10mbps and is now using fibre optic.

But the powerline do give some thought.

There's alot of powerlines here in NZ