PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection sharing.

supergran
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a computer in the lounge running XP, my daughter has a computer in her bedroom running XP, both SP2, and both of us using dial up. Is there a way, if we get broadband, to get both computers to run broadband, and can we both go online at the same time.

I know that is most likely a strange question to those of you who know these things, but where ever I have searched, including here, doesn't really answer that question.

Her's is a brand new computer, mine is nearly 3 years old. TIA

robsonde
11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
a network card in both systems (about $20 each) may built in to a newer system.

then when you get ADSL, get a router(about $100), this will have 4 or more ports of the PCs to connect in to.

the router is connected to internet 24/7

PCs connect to router as needed by way of network cable (about $3 per meter)

bob_doe_nz
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Yes, it can be done. Thats the configuration I have done for my computer as well as my two other brothers.

What you probably need.

1x ADSL router (For the internet DUH!)
2x Network Cards (1 for each computer)
A Switch (used to network the computers and net together. I have a spare one that needs a power supply for free if you need.)
Network cable (Lots of it to connect the computers and router to the switch)

supergran
11-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Ok, thanks for the info, and that means opening puters, and putting network cards in? Darn. Both still under warranty, and wouldn't even be able to change ram, even though I know what it looks like.

The cable isn't really a prob, as the puters are within 10 feet and two walls between them.

How can I check if we have network cards in our pc's?

In my control panel I have a setting for a wireless network setup, and in device manager, I have a "VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter" under the setting "network adapter" Is that the sort of card you mean?

Sorry for sounding dumb, but in this regard, I am.

Sweep
11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
"At the same time" question has not really been answered. Which ISP are you going with? Do you currently have two user names with one ISP?

jenae
11-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi, yes the first poster is correct you do not need a switch. Only difference is if you do not want cable, then you need a adsl wireless router and 1 wireless network card in the remote computer. You can also use your inbuilt power connections to connect over ethernet if signal strength is an issue. Post back if you wish more info.

supergran
11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
"At the same time" question has not really been answered. Which ISP are you going with? Do you currently have two user names with one ISP?
No, we have one isp at present, and both go online under my name and password. We would most likely change to Xtra if we went broadband, cos with being rural, I thought that would be the most reliable for where we live. I get tolls from telecom, and no one else has been able to match their price for ringing CHCH, so don't want to change my toll provider.

supergran
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi, yes the first poster is correct you do not need a switch. Only difference is if you do not want cable, then you need a adsl wireless router and 1 wireless network card in the remote computer. You can also use your inbuilt power connections to connect over ethernet if signal strength is an issue. Post back if you wish more info.
Ok, you lost me, about the second sentance. LOL Is her computer the remote computer, or the one in the lounge? Is the ethernet thing you are talking about the thing I found in the device manager? If this does look like being possible, would I be best to talk to someone at telecom, or the closest puter shop.

Thanks for all your help people, you are great, even if I don't understand half of it.

Just checked her puter, and she also has the wireless set up wizard, and in her device manager, she has 'SIS 900 based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Ferg
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
"...in device manager, I have a "VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter" under the setting "network adapter" Is that the sort of card you mean?"

The "VIA Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter" is your network card. The socket for it will be on the back of the computer, probably have two LED (yellow and green, sometimes just one) , the word link and/or have a wee picture next it that looks a bit like one square on top and two on the bottom.

Hope that helps

supergran
11-07-2006, 10:33 PM
yes Ferg, that does help, as that means we both have network cards, so that is one problem solved. Thanks. :)

Sweep
11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
No, we have one isp at present, and both go online under my name and password. We would most likely change to Xtra if we went broadband, cos with being rural, I thought that would be the most reliable for where we live. I get tolls from telecom, and no one else has been able to match their price for ringing CHCH, so don't want to change my toll provider.

So at the moment you have two computers connected via a dial up modem and I guess you have one phone line provided by Telecom. At this time you cannot both get online at the SAME time. The reason for this post is to elucidate more information.

Have you contacted Xtra to find if your phone line can be enabled for Broadband?

http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202957-202321,00.html

This is the first check you should do.

supergran
11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes, have checked re telecom, and we can get broadband, but no guarantees till they get here how fast. But the green box is under a km away, and was updated about 2 months ago, so aren't worried about that.

Yes, we do connect, via dial up modem, at separate times.

FoxyMX
11-07-2006, 11:09 PM
You should be fine. When I did that test my results indicated that my ADSL speed would be on the slow side but it turned out better than I expected.

All you need now is a router and once Telecom connect you the rest is a breeze. :)

supergran
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok everyone, thank you very much, as we have been seriously looking at broadband, but didn't even know where to start, short of seeing if we could get it,and I didnt' want them trying to sell me things we didn't need.

Once again you guys/gals rock!

FoxyMX
11-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Just don't go getting Xtra's 200MB per month plan. :(

Even 1GB might be pushing it, depending on your downloading habits.

Sweep
12-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Just don't go getting Xtra's 200MB per month plan. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/frown.gif

Even 1GB might be pushing it, depending on your downloading habits.

Very true! I still have to stop people sending me 35 meg tiff images fron their camera or scanner.

straitjacket
12-07-2006, 08:30 AM
just to add to what others have said....if you sign up with telecom they will give you free connection and free router...alll you will have to do is by a cheap ethernet switch (and associated cabling)to network your machines and the router together as the telecom routers are dhcp servers and will quite happily allow you to run multiple computers through it (that is if you dont mind cables running around the place)

FoxyMX
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
just to add to what others have said....if you sign up with telecom they will give you free connection and free router...
Wrong !!!

Xtra will give you a free modem, not a router, when you sign up. If you want a router then it will cost $60 for the self-install kit that contains a router.

See this page (http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,202933-203651,00.html) for more info.

straitjacket
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
ah thats where youre wrong foxymx...telecom is currently shipping the dlink dsl502t which is an adsl router/modem combo for the soho and I know this for a fact because my friend signed up 2 wks ago and that is what he got shipped...and also I dont know how its possible but I have been running 3 machines through an ethernet switch to my dsl-302g with no connectivity problems ...all machines able to access net simultaneously.....dlink says its NOT possible...but I have had it running for a year so go figure

EDIT: just looked at the telecom page...THEY say its a modem...but dlink says its a router - http://www.dlink.co.nz/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=1&Sub2=2&PID=48 - and its got all the right options in the setup menu in the device to confirm it9just to illustrate how dumb telecom are they say you can only hook up ONE pc...but its also got a usb connection for simultaneous use )...have you ever had hands on with the 502t?? I have .. . . and the 504g listed on the telecom website is just the older model of the 504t which is just a 4 port version of the 502t :thumbs:

FoxyMX
12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
OK, you're right about Xtra wrongly calling Dlink's DSL 502T router a modem. I didn't actually follow that link thinking that Xtra wouldn't stuff something like that up. :rolleyes:

As far as I can see, however, it has only one port for a single connection, not four ports like the other one has. So a switch will also need to be purchased to connect more than one PC to the internet through that router.

straitjacket
12-07-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah you're right in the fact that to properly network the machines and have file/printer sharing a switch is necessary, but if all you want to do is enable net access for 2 machines the 502 t is the same as the dsl-302g in that it has ethernet and usb ports, and both can be used simultaneously

supergran
12-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Ok guys/gals, you are confusing me again, but I guess that isn't hard, I am blonde, no offence to anyone else out there that is blonde!

Foxy, the minimum we would be looking at for broadband would be 4 gig, prefer 10 gig, as I frequent a lot of photo sites, and upload a lot of the same, as well as do a web page for a speedway, that also I use a lot of photos on.

I did look at a link to WXC and their 10 gig is only $42 which is a bit different to Xtra's $59.95. Not sure how reliable or fast it is, but was just looking.

So yes, I am still sort of hunting in the dark here, but may ask a puter tech at the school I used to work at how much it would cost him to sort out a wireless set up compared to a wired set up. I just can't really see me getting this sorted, without a lot of hassles.

As for the printer sharing, nah, never, no way, are my daughter and granddaughter being able to use all my printer ink!! LOL

Sweep
12-07-2006, 11:12 PM
And I have to mention that we do not yet know how far it is from the lounge to the bedroom.

Intervening walls may come into play and we also have a Grandaughter added to the equation.

Siani
13-07-2006, 01:36 AM
I've just done all this myself, SuperGran.

I got an adsl router from Dick smith and I have a laptop running xp and another plus desktop running 98 each connected to the router.

I'm assuming you don't want to share files and such between the two computers?
If this is the case a router will do all you need to share a broadband connection.
You can use cables or wireless, though wireless costs more to set up for. I used cables and hid them under the carpet.

If you do want to share files between the 2 computers then you can look at setting up a network. The f1 FAQ pages had good step-by-step on this.

I have been on WXC for two months and have found them very reliable, the $42 package.

HTH

supergran
13-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Sweep, the computers are about 9 metres apart, with two walls in the way.

Siani, no, we don't want to share files, and so are you saying that we don't have to network them just join the cables and use a router that has more than one phone line hole into the back of it?

Thanks for the info re WXC.

Siani
23-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Sweep, the computers are about 9 metres apart, with two walls in the way.

Siani, no, we don't want to share files, and so are you saying that we don't have to network them just join the cables and use a router that has more than one phone line hole into the back of it?

Thanks for the info re WXC.

Sorry for the slow response, but yes, that's it. Get a multi-pc router, (mine has 4 network connection holes and a usb hole). Join that to your phoneline, and attach your computers, and you should be sweet.
:thumbs:

Billy T
23-07-2006, 01:07 PM
No that's not it. You don't want multiple "phone line" holes, you want one phone line and multiple network connector ports.

You connect both computers to the router via network cables, having first established that both computers have network ports.

There's also some setting up to do on the computers, so I'd take a look at the FAQs (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Main_Page) before proceeding.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

drcspy
23-07-2006, 01:40 PM
as your computers are still under warranty they will be new and of course they'll have network cards they'll also have usb........if you are goin to go with xtra then the broadband 'modem' they supply now for their basic connection packages, (unless you request a fancy router or wireless one) is a d-link 502T... this little item has both ethernet, (network) and usb connections on it and you can EASILY run two puters at the same time on it both sharing the connection. You only need to locate the modem near one puter and put that one on usb connection then you can have the other puter anywhere else in reasonable range (100m) and run it thru ethernet (network cable) this'll only cost you a little bit for a long ethernet cable and nothing else..........it's VERY simple to set up.....

drcspy
23-07-2006, 01:41 PM
you wont have to 'network' the puters you just need to set up one on usb connectoin to the modem and the other on the ethernet connection it's really simple..........and costs nothing except for the network cable..... about $20 at dicksmiths for 10m