PDA

View Full Version : laptop tv tuner help

delling
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Im looking to buy a tv tuner for my laptop and I need some help with what i should go for. how they work as far as reception and stuff and is there anything else i need to make it run. I have got an intel graphics accelerator that has up to 224mb integrated ram. I realise this is not a great set up for the latest games but does this at all effect the tv tuner? Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

godfather
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
The TV tuner should be fine with that "on-board" graphics.

Obviously you need a USB connected tuner, being a laptop. That will slightly limit your options.

One "special need" for any PC TV tuner is that it must have a good outside antenna, they tend to need a better signal than a TV can get by on.

somebody
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
A friend of mine has a cheap DSE USB TV Tuner - I think it was around $120 when he bought it. It works ok, though the signal quality from his internal antenna isn't great. Software works, but not very well designed.

delling
12-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Pretty much if anyone can recommend a good tuner that would be great. I also thought there were tv tuners that plug into laptops not just external usb devices?

godfather
12-07-2006, 01:58 AM
There are PCMCIA tuners available.

Not sure how commonly available they are though, never seen them for sale in New Zealand.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-PCMCIA-TV-Tuner-From-AVerMedia-7713.shtml
They plug in the slot on the side, but do stick out a distance, USB would be more convenient as the antenna cable will still need to connect and would need to connect to the laptop then.

Siani
13-07-2006, 02:35 AM
DSE have a couple of card tuners available. Not sure what they perform like.

If anyone gets one, let me know. :D

godfather
13-07-2006, 10:33 AM
They do too, I see. Never knew that.

Cat XH8283 ($196) and XH8282 ($143)

The XH8283 does both terrestrial digital (when and if we actually get it here) as well as normal analog TV.

They also provide video capture.

Hmmm... could be useful...