PDA

View Full Version : Laptop freezing on bootup if room temp cold

john r
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I am pretty sure this is a hardware problem as it is the same in safe mode,if I start the laptop after it has been shut down over night in a room below 10 degrees it will freeze in the XP boot screen,if you depower and reboot it will get further the next time and again depending on temp it will maybe reach the desktop then freeze while you are checking your mail or opening something.if it keeps going for say 3 minutes with no problems,then it will go ok for days if its not shut down and let go cold.on a day when the room is warmer it will boot up first time with no worries.
The laptop is a cheap ECS A532 Transmeta but to its credit it goes well when not playing up.It is out of warranty now so I am on my own,I have replaced the hard drive with no difference and refitted the old one to prove its not that,I have done a ram test which was ok.
any help would be great,
John.

Graham L
11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Try starting without the battery in (I'm assuming you mostly use it on the mains).

When the battery is cold it might cause the charger to think it's down, and the extra load might be too much for the power supply. Just a thought; no guarantees. ;)

john r
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks Graham,
will do,
John.

SolMiester
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a solder crack to me, when warm, the connection is expanded therefore making contact, when cold, the join is compressed and not making proper contact.

Vallis
11-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm with SolMiester.
Most temperature related electrical faults get worse at higher temps.
Solder cracks are an exception. Low cost = low quality control.
Sometimes.

FoxyMX
11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I once had a fairly similar problem with a removable hard drive caddy. During winter on cold days it took forever for the PC to boot up but when I eventually removed the hard drive from the caddy and put it back on the IDE cable as per normal it was fine.

Must have been a poor connection somewhere as the others have said.

john r
12-07-2006, 04:23 AM
thank you all,It don't sound too good for me,can anyone tell me where to look for a cold joint,the power is still running the display and power on lights.
could it be in the CPU area,
cheers,
John.