11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi there!
I have Mobo for Athlon/DURon CPU 550 MHz to 1.3 GHz, socket A, FSB 266/200
Found one ATHLON 1.7 GHz and other Duron 1200

Will they fit?

Thanks

SolMiester
11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Socket A is like the big Slot 1 of the Pentium, not many around now. Your best best is to search the mobo manufactures web site for supported cpus. The mobo will have a model number printed on it.

My memory wont hold info from that far back now. I dont think the 1.7 athlon will work, but the Duron may.

pctek
11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Socket A is like the big Slot 1 of the Pentium, not many around now.
Hardley. K6s maybe. Plenty of Socket A on Trademe.

Vistra
11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Yea, its all about how old the board is and if will handle the Athlons, but answering your question, Yes it will fit (as long as your board is a Socket A/Socket 462). But if the CPU works or not....thats all up to the motherboard. Do you have the motherboard Model number?

Lizard
11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Socket A is like the big Slot 1 of the Pentium, not many around now. Your best best is to search the mobo manufactures web site for supported cpus. The mobo will have a model number printed on it.

My memory wont hold info from that far back now. I dont think the 1.7 athlon will work, but the Duron may.

I thought it was Slot A (as compared with Slot 1 for Intel).

I have an AMD Athlon 500 in Slot A format (the wide "cartridge" style chip) in good working order. Not particularly fast, esp. by modern standards, but would get the right mobo up and running (well maybe jogging).

PM if you're interested.

Lizard

tweak'e
11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
quite correct lizard.

you can still buy socket A motherboards tho they are end of line stocks these days.

as far as cpu support goes it depends a lot on the make/model/revision number and bios. really need to know make/model first.

taly
11-07-2006, 09:43 PM
My PC is with Mobo ASUS A7V133 and with socket A for Athlon/Duron 550MHz to 1.3GHz+CPU. FSB 266/200. At the moment CPU is ATHLON 750MHz
I want to upgrade to maximum speed of 1.3 GHz to use it for video SKYPe that recomends 1GHZ minimum CPU for best results. At the moment picture is freezing periodically and I hope faster CPU would help.
The question is should it be Athlon or Duron will do, since I found one Duron 1200 on Trademe. What would be the advantages of Atlon against Duron?
Is it cache size or what, providing both are 1.2 GHz?

Thanks

bob_doe_nz
11-07-2006, 10:34 PM
If you can afford (and find it) it, go for the Athlon. Higher clock speeds and a larger Level 2 cache. It offers better performance over a Duron.

Durons are like the Celeron CPU's, they are cut down versions of the Athlon to fit budget constrained users.

The only caveat is finding a bios update if your mobo needs one.

tweak'e
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
athlon any day. athlonXP if the mobo supports it would be better.

just watch the heat. the atho tbirds run very hot and need a decent heatsink.

Metla
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Nothing wrong with a Duron, as long as you get one for $20, they spanked the Celerons in their time.

Hey...what an amazing conincidence, I have a box of them......