PDA

View Full Version : Local TV Station

kwaka
11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi all,
Recently approached by someone setting up a local TV station, they wanted a few machines for editing etc, the guy I spoke to also wondered if there was an alternative to a product called PlayBox AirBox (http://www.anzt.co.nz/products/playbox/playbox_airbox.shtml) for automating the clips for microwave uploading to the transmitter, or perhaps to have one remotely controlled at the transmitter site. Some of you may have had involvement with the setting up of a broadcasting TV station, if so, any info (I am not a fan of getting people to spend huge money if a cheaper, reliable alternative is available) would be useful.

borax
11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I have spent the last 10 years working in broadcast and unfortunatley there is no such thing as 'cheap and reliable' infact there is no such thing as 'exspensive and reliable' in my opinion.
What hardware and software depends entirely on what type of output they are looking to get from the station. If they are looking to make it professional i.e. graphics V/O, bugs etc etc then the sky is the limit as regard to price. If they are looking for a simple playlist of pre-compile mpegs then you could effectively use a simple media player with a clean output.
I am aware of equipment being used at local transmitter sites to play regional material, but that was in the UK, and im not too sure who could supply that sort of thing in NZ.
There are loads of companies that supply automation products: Louth, Harris, Omnibus, Pharos, Sony the list goes on-and-on.
Hope this helps

Hitech
12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Where is this local tv station and what are they going to provide.