PDA

View Full Version : Share Internet connection, XP master, 98 slave

Mike S
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I wish to temporarily allow my old 98SE Laptop Internet access via my host PC (XP Home with SP2) on my simple two-machine network (Cat 5 crossover). The objective is to bring the software on the Laptop up to date for when I use it for dial-up Internet access in UK.

The MS help at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813940 doesn't seem to help me as it keeps steering me to initiate a new network. Also the options shown there don't correspond with what happens on my PC.

I presume I have to tinker with my host PC to allow the Laptop to access the Internet (Broadband) connection operating on the host, as well as tinker with the Laptop itself to tell it to use the Internet connection on the host. I'm darned if I can fathom how to actually make it work.

When I do change it I need to come back to the current set-up where the Laptop will once more perform dial-up Internet access automatically.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike S

SolMiester
11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Win98 isnt the best O/S to configure for ICS network, in fact, I think I could lose a few hours on it myself.

How is the host pc connected to the internet, via router or modem?

With a $40 outlay, you could have internet access for both in less than 15min, via a switch with the router/modem (via ethernet) plugged into that.

borax
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
What i would do is, find out what the IP address of the PC that is connected to the Internet is and what subnet it is in.
On the PC the is running 98SE change its IP address to one that is in the same subnet. Also change the default gateway address on the 98SE PC to be the IP address of the XP PC. Examle:
XP PC:
IP address 192.168.0.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0

98SE PC:
IP address 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Deafault Gateway 192.168.0.1

Once that has been done give 'em a reboot and bobs yer uncle hopefully. Well hopefully he is, haven't used 98SE much TBH.

GOOD LUCK

Mike S
11-07-2006, 05:22 PM
The host PC is connected via Ethernet/Cat5 cable to D-Link ADSL modem supplied by Xtra. What would I ask for precisely to get the right switch?

The Ethernet card in the Laptop is a PCMCIA card. The Laptop is old and has no other provision for Ethernet connection: I use it currently to connect the Laptop to the host Desktop PC. In the host there are two Ethernet cards: one for the network connection to the Laptop and one for the input from the ADSL modem.

For this one-off exercise, could I just unplug the ADSL modem from the host PC and plug it into the PCMCIA Ethernet card in the Laptop? How would I configure the Laptop to handle that? for my short term purposes I don't need to be able to switch the Internet connection from one machine to the other at will.

Kind Regards,
Mike S

borax
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes you could simply plug the Xtra modem into the laptop, as your details are stored in the modem and not on the PC. Make sure in the internet connection settings you select 'never dial a connection' and you should be away.

Mike S
11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Just altering the dial up setting from 'Always dial my default connection' to 'Never dial a connection' seems far too simple. Is it really going to be that easy? Call me a skeptic if you like - it's just difficulat to believe it's that simple where MS and the Internet are involved.

So:
1/ I change that one little setting
2/ Shut down both machines plus the ADSL modem
3/ Plug the ADSL modem into the PCMCIA card in place of the RJ45 Network plug
4/ Fire up the ADSL modem
5/ Fire up the Laptop
6/ Double click IE
and Robert is your father's brother?????

Are there any comments from people who've done it please............???

berryb
11-07-2006, 11:46 PM
You don't need to shutdown anything. Plug the ADSL modem into the PCMCIA card in place of the RJ45 Network plug with the laptop off. Turn it on and see if you have internet connection. If you haven't check the connection settings as suggested in another post, assuming you are using Internet Explorer. Now this will only work if your router has DHCP enable to give the laptop an IP address (most are enabled by default). Try this and if it doesn't work them come back here and post what happened.

Mike S
12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Well guys, it wasn't as simple as that, and I've tried all sorts.

Changing the IP address and just plugging the modem into the Laptop didn't work, not even with Never dial a connection checked. Since then I have tried a number of other changes to settings, none of which succeeded.

In essence it seems the Internet side of things in the Laptop won't talk to the modem. I was tempted to run the set-up Wizard to initiate a completely new set-up with the third option checked ("I want to set my internet connection manually, or I want to connect through a local area network"), but that way I get so far away from the original dial-up settings (which I want to use in UK) that I begin to panic that I can ever get it all back to where I was. Can I negate any such alterations merely by restoring an old registry?

Since I'm almost out of time now I am shortly forced to give up.

snoopy
12-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Try manually inputting the DNS addresses in for your ISP,ie. right click the icon for your 98 card, TCP/IP properties, manually input the DNS server addressses.

Mike S
12-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Regretfully I'm completely out of time. I do apprecaite people's efforts and interest on my behalf. I'll have to up-date the O/S and AV software the long way on dial-up in the UK when I get them, (providing FreeDial works OK for me there).

Pretty frustrating though, I admit. Anything in the Win98 world always seems super difficult. If I win Lotto whilst I'm away I'll buy a new Laptop!

Thanks anyway,
Regards,
Mike S

Siani
13-07-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm sorry I didn''t see this earlier, Mike.

For your dial-up properties you should have never dial a connection, because for broadband you are not dialling anything.

After plugging into the adsl modem, your old laptop should have detected the new hardware.

You can see if it has by going to control panel and clicking on Network. You should see a list of adapters and protocols. Look for an adapter for your adsl modem. And there should be TCP/IP protocool for same.

This, I think, is where the problem may be.