PDA

View Full Version : stats on the number of pcworld.co.nz visitors using Firefox

Chris Keall
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Click here (http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/ck-live/) if you're curious.

pctek
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Hmmmm. And what happened to good old Mozilla? Doesn't even rate a mention?

Does this mean I'm the only one using it or do you lump them in with Firefox users?

And trying to post this as a comment gave me:
"An error occurred
You must define a Comment Pending template. "

Shortcircuit
11-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Does this mean I'm the only one using it or do you lump them in with Firefox users?

I think they lumped it in with Crazy browser :)

SolMiester
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I use netscape 8.1, but then again, ANYTHING is better than MS IE

Chris Keall
11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes, the Nielsen categories are pretty broad.
They don't even differentiate between beta 1 and beta two of Crazy Browser 3 (http://www.crazybrowser.com/).

Jen
11-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Hmm ... the blog comment is having a Movable Type issue and wants me to define a Comment Pending template ... :illogical

Anyway - Go Firefox! :D

tweak'e
11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
it will be interesting to know what strings they are useing to identify the different browsers as quite a few fake the browser ID and a few hardcore people edit the usual 'fake' strings (which aren't really that fake) so its totally fake.

Sweep
11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I tried Firefox and don't use it any more. Have not tried any version of Firefox for around 4 months.

That is just me though. For all the people that want it, need it or like it then go for it.

Term_X
13-07-2006, 04:30 PM
ive been using firefox for sometime now, wouldnt go anywhere on the internet highway without it. all the virus'd non firefox installed pc's ive fixed , ive finished by installing firefox on them, i never hear from those people again :-)

Greg
13-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Those stats would be expected. However on a more technology focussed forum I manage the percentages show a lot less use of IE:

Firefox - 46%
IE - 39%
Opera - 7%
Mozilla - 2%

I also guess that IE comes second only because it's frequently the only browser available to users in their work environment.

mantermite
14-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Well I've started using Flock (http://www.flock.com) which is a Firefox clone but with added blogging, photo uploader and few other nice tricks.
Still a Firefox base but different.
Trying out Firefox 2 beta but nothing fundamentally different for me.

Sue
15-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll stay in the 1% chaff list:
Safari :cool:

techiekid
15-07-2006, 12:34 PM

And trying to post this as a comment gave me:
"An error occurred
You must define a Comment Pending template. "

nope they lumped it in with netscape, netscape eats, well never mind what netscape eats

pcuser42
16-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I use netscape 8.1, but then again, ANYTHING is better than MS IE

Sure is, with the number of h les i it (sorry, I mean holes in it, IE took over ;) )

Kate_vkv
16-07-2006, 01:54 PM
The only problem I have found with firefox so far is I cannot copy from word to firefox when writing emails. Have to copy & paste as I can lose the whole message. This rural line is so hopless.... thanks to Telecom.

Greg
16-07-2006, 02:04 PM
The only problem I have found with firefox so far is I cannot copy from word to firefox when writing emails.Try Wordpad or Notepad.

Oldferix
17-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Perhaps we could have a 'Press F1' poll to find the browser that kiwis prefer?

JJJJJ
18-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Why does anyone want to use firefox or any other half-arsed browser when they have a perfectly good IE 7 on their computer.

I see people claiming IE is rubbish, but no one is ever specific with their complaint.

I tried firefox just to see what all the noise was about. Put right off by those silly tabs. Take twice as long to load a page as IE. That's an improvement?

I just hope I can use IE 7 in Vista. I hate tab browsing. :illogical :illogical

bob_doe_nz
18-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Why does anyone want to use firefox or any other half-arsed browser when they have a perfectly good IE 7 on their computer.
I'm not too sure what its like in IE7, but if you view the following page in FFox or Opera... http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/tony.lee.at.home/pictures_1.html

And then hover the mouse over pictures, you get text explaining what the pictures are about. In IE6 however, its absolute crap.

JJJJJ
18-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry , I meantIE 6.

tweak'e
18-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Why does anyone want to use firefox or any other half-arsed browser when they have a perfectly good IE 6 on their computer.
because IE is full of bugs and poorly implemented features. also its designed to be user friendly while sacrificing security.

has IE7 got middle click working or open in background or even load page from cache when going back rather than redownloading pages, yet??

JJJJJ
18-07-2006, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=tweak'e]because IE is full of bugs and poorly implemented features. also its designed to be user friendly while sacrificing security.

QUOTE]

And Firefox hasn't????????????

tweak'e
18-07-2006, 10:57 PM
firefox ??? ewwwwwww.

OPERA rules :D

actually any non IE based are better sicurity wise. its a lot easier when you don't have that overly powerfull activeX "feature".

Greg
19-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I think J x 5 is happy with IE because everytime a problem occurs he just ditches his computer and buys a new one - problem solved.

Laura
21-07-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm not too sure what its like in IE7, but if you view the following page in FFox or Opera... http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/tony.lee.at.home/pictures_1.html

And then hover the mouse over pictures, you get text explaining what the pictures are about. In IE6 however, its absolute crap.

I'm not an IE fan, bob. I prefer Firefox.
But I have to say that my IE6 shows your pix descriptions when I hover the mouse. (XP Home SP2)

Maybe something about your settings..?

JJJJJ
21-07-2006, 08:55 AM
But I have to say that my IE6 shows your pix descriptions when I hover the mouse. (XP Home SP2)

Maybe something about your settings..?

Agree with you
Some people, Mostly children I suspect, take the view that everything from MS is rubbish and everything from anyone else is marvelous.
I take the view that all MS software is satisfactory. There may be some weaknesses, but none that worry me. I'm not paranoid enough enough to think that some bogeyman is going to sneak into my computer through some obscure back door. And if he does, good luck to him.
Other software from linux to firefox to opera etc. may do the same job.But not better or worse than MS. Certainly there's no need to switch to them because MS is bad or evil.

FoxyMX
21-07-2006, 11:04 AM
That's interesting Laura because the descriptions do not display on my IE either. Can you do a screenshot for us and post it on ImageF1 so that I can see whether you are actually seeing what I think you are seeing?

BTW that is my hacked code that bob_doe_nz stole and hasn't acknowledged. :rolleyes:

stu161204
21-07-2006, 12:49 PM
BTW that is my hacked code that bob_doe_nz stole and hasn't acknowledged. :rolleyes:

LOL :D

bob_doe_nz
21-07-2006, 09:43 PM
:p

Laura, This (http://imagef1.net.nz/bob_doe_nz/files/wysiwyg.jpg) is what the three main browsers look like when compared together... :groan:

Opera and Firefox show WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE... :p

Laura
22-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Aha - so all is revealed.

Sorry Foxy, I didn't see your screenshot request earlier.
That would've been a learning/remembering curve, but bob has saved me the mission for the time being.

bob - Your screenshot shows me that there's text... and then there's text.

Yes, my IE shows the same limited version. I didn't realise that there should be more to it than met my eye.
The good screenshot showed that well. .

alphazulusixeightniner
22-07-2006, 04:14 AM
I think J x 5 is happy with IE because everytime a problem occurs he just ditches his computer and buys a new one - problem solved.
:lol: