PDA

View Full Version : IE v 7(Beta)

effie c
11-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi,
Yesterday I downloaded and successfully installed IE v 7 beta, and am impressed,the only thing I have to re learn is the abbreviated tool bars etc.The immediate thoughts are, I have a much more defined font, the screen appears clearer, and in general I do not regret my actions.

I understand that Tweak e suggested that only skilled or well practised people try it out---why is this? as far as I am concerened--the end result raises a question---why is Tweake e so cautious or have I done something stupid?

I got my site from CNet which is encouraged/supported by Microsoft, it demanded verification of my Windows etc., and after going through all that, then proceeded to download the balance which again required authentication.

I know I am impulsive but I see no reason whatsoever to "wait untill it is officially issued" as a mate stated
:confused:
Tell me true :)
effie c

Rob99
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
beta

1. Mostly working, but still under test; usu. used with “in”: in beta. In the Real World, hardware or software systems often go through two stages of release testing: Alpha (in-house) and Beta (out-house?). Beta releases are generally made to a group of lucky (or unlucky) trusted customers.

2. Anything that is new and experimental. “His girlfriend is in beta” means that he is still testing for compatibility and reserving judgment.

3. Flaky; dubious; suspect (since beta software is notoriously buggy).

Historical note: More formally, to beta-test is to test a pre-release (potentially unreliable) version of a piece of software by making it available to selected (or self-selected) customers and users. This term derives from early 1960s terminology for product cycle checkpoints, first used at IBM but later standard throughout the industry. Alpha Test was the unit, module, or component test phase; Beta Test was initial system test. These themselves came from earlier A- and B-tests for hardware. The A-test was a feasibility and manufacturability evaluation done before any commitment to design and development. The B-test was a demonstration that the engineering model functioned as specified. The C-test (corresponding to today's beta) was the B-test performed on early samples of the production design, and the D test was the C test repeated after the model had been in production a while.

Robby
11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Gidday,

Any software shown as in beta means it is still under construction, and installing it can cause problems with other software on the computer.

experienced computer users would have a better chance, of recifiying any
problems that may occur. They also usualy report back to developers.

It great that you have found IE7 stable, however tweake is right, you should always beware of that some beta software, because of its nature, can and does cause instablily on computers.

cheers,

Robby

plod
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
beta

1. Mostly working, but still under test; usu. used with “in”: in beta. In the Real World, hardware or software systems often go through two stages of release testing: Alpha (in-house) and Beta (out-house?). Beta releases are generally made to a group of lucky (or unlucky) trusted customers.

2. Anything that is new and experimental. “His girlfriend is in beta” means that he is still testing for compatibility and reserving judgment.

3. Flaky; dubious; suspect (since beta software is notoriously buggy).

Historical note: More formally, to beta-test is to test a pre-release (potentially unreliable) version of a piece of software by making it available to selected (or self-selected) customers and users. This term derives from early 1960s terminology for product cycle checkpoints, first used at IBM but later standard throughout the industry. Alpha Test was the unit, module, or component test phase; Beta Test was initial system test. These themselves came from earlier A- and B-tests for hardware. The A-test was a feasibility and manufacturability evaluation done before any commitment to design and development. The B-test was a demonstration that the engineering model functioned as specified. The C-test (corresponding to today's beta) was the B-test performed on early samples of the production design, and the D test was the C test repeated after the model had been in production a while.
does that mean windows XP is still in Beta? :rolleyes:

tweak'e
11-07-2006, 08:50 PM
does that mean windows XP is still in Beta?
that sums it up nicly. software can be buggy enough in the final product let alone during testing.

the main reason i don't like IE beta products is due to MS making it part and parcel of windows. faults in IE can cause big faults in the OS. other software interacts with the OS, not become part of it.

eg you beta testing say opera or firefox isn't as bad. its a lot less likly for them to screw up the OS, exspecially if you don't like it and want to remove it.

Rob99
12-07-2006, 01:04 AM
does that mean windows XP is still in Beta? :rolleyes:LOL
Not quite, it's way past that.

It's DOS in the X-ray Papa testing stage, they added windows a few years ago to make it easier to see the pop-up error messages.

godfather
12-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Look at it this way, effie c.

Would you willingly submit your body to medical experiments with unproven drugs to see if they react badly in any way (and not in an attempt to cure anything that you may have wrong with you) if the drug maker offered them to you free?

Because that is what you have now done to your PC ....

plod
12-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Does outlook that comes with Beta office expire?

allblack
12-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Yuk!

I downloaded IE v 7 Beta a couple of weeks ago....coz I like new toys.

Been running, with my uneducated pc skills, flawlessly.

After reading Rob99's post, I wish I hadn't!

Yours, in paranoia,

Tim

effie c
12-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi Allblack, and all others.

Thanks for your efforts to guide me- although I am like you, allblack, well committed---and to date I have had no regrets--
I considered the potential program problems if I went back and can see no reason to do so- and believe me I am very easily panicked as has been shown in the past 9 years of computers :blush:

The abbreviated headings in the tool bar take a bit of getting used to- and although I downloaded Firefox again from way way back, I still am keeping my I E as default,because I do not think FF is as good as I E. :xmouth:

At worst, if I E is confirmed by Microsoft, I would merely have to re install it --or perhaps just update that which I have now committed to my default program.

I do not regret my actions- so good luck Allblack :D

effie c

Cicero
12-07-2006, 10:01 AM
There may have been a point in telling you true,but I missed it. :confused:

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
If you think it went well, go check out some other things from ideas.live.com

effie c
12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Chilling Silence,
did just that - nothing there really appealed to me as did IE v 7 Beta,- but thanks - I sure hope I do not run into trouble with this impulsive download/install, but so far as I said to Allblack - it is done and I have no regrets.
I will be very interested to see what the "official" version will do - as this is really quite good.
Just in passing would I/we be able to go back,if we had to?-say even by systems restore ( which I doubt as it is a program in itself )
:)
Effie c

godfather
12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
The very worst you could be faced with is a reinstall of Windows and all programs, which for a home PC is not a big issue at all.

My point was more that for critical function PC's it's not done lightly to use Beta software.

As I have to earn a living from my PC, and as IE becomes totally integrated into Windows, I could not afford such an "experiment" to go wrong.

If it was just a hobby PC I would probably do it.

gum digger
12-07-2006, 02:23 PM
LOL

tweak'e
12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
The very worst you could be faced with is a reinstall of Windows and all programs, which for a home PC is not a big issue at all.
for me thats 2-3 days work! i would rather not :groan:

FoxyMX
12-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Wrong. The very worst you could be faced with is a complete meltdown necessitating a format and reinstall and you did not back up your data first.

That's what Ghost is supposed to be for but how many bother, thinking that "nothing will go wrong"?

godfather
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
One assumes that everyone backs up their data of course. Do you mean that's not the case FoxyMX? (sarcasm icon desperately needed here...)

I reformatted and reinstalled from scratch about a month ago, took about a day tops.
However as I backup daily and have all drivers and updates etc on hand, its not a 2 - 3 day issue for me. Broadband helps, which Tweak'e lacks.

I also use Ghost, but wanted a slightly different configuration this time so did it from scratch. With Ghost it's easy, only ~ an hour start to finish, as you say.

I assume that those people that do not backup data do not really need the data. Because at some stage they sure will not have it!

I just cannot believe anyone would run a major component such as IE7 Beta without having data backed up anyway.

Perhaps these are the same people that smoke in bed, have no smoke alarms and no insurance, also drive on bald tyres with no WOF or registration?

Your experience may differ I suspect FoxyMX, and may more accurately reflect the habits out there. I shudder to think what they are....

FoxyMX
12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Your experience may differ I suspect FoxyMX, and may more accurately reflect the habits out there. I shudder to think what they are....
Just in case others don't realise that you are jesting (well, I hope you are jesting!!) may I hasten to say that not only do I religiously make backups but I have no desire to infect my computer with such odious programs such as IE. :stare:

godfather
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I was actually referring to the fact that you may occasionally stray away from your own "impeccably maintained PC" and glimpse the seedier side of life on other peoples PC's, when helping them out ...

FoxyMX
12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Ah. Yes, you are very right about that.