PDA

View Full Version : converting a dvd movie to divx

lance4k
09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
when using a dvd to divx converter to make a dvd into divx so it only takes up about 700MB of space, will the dvd menu's and extra on the dvd be kept when it's converted into divx?

gum digger
09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
depends on the converter your using. mostly the menu is VTS_01_0.VOB and no mostly it will be just the movie which is encoded.

JackStraw
09-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Sadly no. As the divx format is just for compessing video files it will not convert the chapter headings and so your menu will not have a clue as to what it should br pointing at.
On the other hand this means you can have all the "special features" as a separate file, or files.
So, whatever you want to watch, you don't have to go through the whole mess of dealing with the menu. :-)

gkar
09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
There are two options which would depend on why you want to maintain menus:

1) Use a programme like DVD Shrink (freeware) to backup your DVDs. However, unless you are going to backup to dual layer DVD discs you will be compromising video quality as the programme automatically compresses the data written to it to fit on the DVD disc. Considering the cost of these discs, what is the point of doing that if you're only after a genuine backup source. The other option I won't even list here.

2) If you're after a simple solution (but not labour-free) for backup to a hard disk drive, or DVD disk -with multilple playable movies or TV episodes that have chapters: rip the disk to drive, DivX -or XVID with either Gordian Knot (GK) or Auto GK to get an .avi video file, then convert into a Matroska (.mkv) container incorporating the .avi file & chapter text file using VirtualDubMod.

Check out the guides section of www.doom9.org for more info.

JackStraw
10-07-2006, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=gkar]2) If you're after a simple solution (but not labour-free) for backup to a hard disk drive, or DVD disk -with multilple playable movies or TV episodes that have chapters: rip the disk to drive, DivX -or XVID with either Gordian Knot (GK) or Auto GK to get an .avi video file, then convert into a Matroska (.mkv) container incorporating the .avi file & chapter text file using VirtualDubMod.
QUOTE]

Clever, why didn't I think of that.
Oooops, do I realy want an answer to that?
:rolleyes:

joshjnz
10-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I think the latest version of Divx has the ablity to create menus but I don't think it's able to copy them.