PDA

View Full Version : Asus mother board won't boot

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
OK, after the disaster trying to dual boot XP and Suse and Jen's help with the beep code for the AMI bios on my Asus AV8 board suggesting that 'there was a problem with memory' and post would not complete I have done the following:

New stick of ram
reset cmos jumpers
new cmos battery
removed all add-on cards (except vid card)
reflashed bios from Asus CD

I am no longer getting any beep errors (well, no beeps at all), so that could be good.

Switch on comp and it goes through the bios boot table, all HD CD etc found but 2 things are strange.

The table will say entering set-up, but nothing happens

and checking NVram... but no 'done' message

continues to HD smart enabled etc then just hangs

Any ideas what I'm missing/doing wrong, or is my motherboard shot?

Speedy Gonzales
09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Did u remember to connect the ATX 4 pin connector, if its got one on the mobo?

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Speedy,

No, it's all set up... no different to when it was running before.

pctek
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, after the disaster trying to dual boot XP and Suse and Jen's help with the beep code for the AMI bios on my Asus AV8 board suggesting that 'there was a problem with memory' and post would not complete I have done the following:

New stick of ram
reset cmos jumpers
new cmos battery
removed all add-on cards (except vid card)
reflashed bios from Asus CD

I am no longer getting any beep errors (well, no beeps at all), so that could be good.

Switch on comp and it goes through the bios boot table, all HD CD etc found but 2 things are strange.

The table will say entering set-up, but nothing happens

and checking NVram... but no 'done' message

continues to HD smart enabled etc then just hangs

Any ideas what I'm missing/doing wrong, or is my motherboard shot?
Disconnect the drives too. Boiot and see where it gets, it should stop at No O./S found.
If not I'd RMA the board.

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Ta Pctek, I'll try it without the HD. (I have purchased two new ones for a raid but haven't put them in yet)

Got my eye on a new m/board anyway, but really not keen on swapping the CPU over to a new one... new m/b and CPU might be pushing the budget a bit!

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
That looks hopeful, booted no problem without the HD, did say 'cmos checksum bad' (problem?). Guess other than that the HD is munted. Now just have to try and figure out the Raid setup

Once again thanks PCtek :thumbs:

Myth
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
CMOS checksum error is usually indicative of:
bad mobo battery; or
mobo going bad

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 04:55 PM
CMOS checksum error is usually indicative of:
bad mobo battery; or
mobo going bad

OK, I got a new battery already... that leaves... :waughh:

I'm just having a go at installing a couple of HDs in raid... hell, got to the point where it doesn't matter if anything else goes bad!

Sweep
09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
With no beeps at all I think you have a problem. One beep is good and other combinations are usually bad.You have connected the case speaker to the motherboard I hope.
When you flashed the BIOS what happend? Can you still enter the BIOS?

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks people, took me a few hours but I now have a nice Raid0 setup, new install of XP and seemingly all going good :)

God, Linux should be a breeze after that :D

pctek
09-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Asus boards have a 3 year warranty you know. Why would you buy another board when you could just RMA it?

JJJJJ
09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
To me it sounds like the computer couldn't decide whether to boot Linux or windows.
I had same problem a couple of years ago with xp and suse. I uninstalled suse (imposable rubish) and my computer wouldn't boot from xp. Much the same symptoms as you.

I finished up formatting the hard disk and re-installing xp. No trouble after that.

And I haven't tried linux of any sort since.

Shortcircuit
09-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Asus boards have a 3 year warranty you know. Why would you buy another board when you could just RMA it?

Partly because the 2 HDs I purchased are Sata2... as far as I'm aware the A8V doesn't stretch to Sata2, just a case of if you can do it- do it :)

After the fun of getting the Raid up and running the m/b 'seems' to be going fine... next stop RMA.

JJJJJ I won't be putting Windows and Linux on the same comp again, learned my lesson :(