PDA

View Full Version : diffupdate - help

dwlewis
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I installed a new program and on bootup I received an error message that I may not have admin rights to 'diffupdate'. I uninstalled the program and still receive this error message. I can find nothing comprehensible about diffupdate on Google (it presumably updates something!) nor does it appear in the msconfig listings. It lives in Windows/prefetch/ but removing it from there still produces an error message (can't find it). What is it, do I need it, how do I either rid myself of it or activate it? Please and thanks.

Doug

Speedy Gonzales
09-07-2006, 11:03 AM
And whats the program?

dwlewis
10-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Speedy - the apparently offending program was 'device genius' - a new one for updating device drivers. I installed it but did not run it before uninstalling on advice from others.

Thd diffupdate error message on bootup suggests I do not have 'rights' to run it but I am the only user of my machine.

Thanks for your help

Doug

drcspy
10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
try start/run ...........then type in msconfig then tap enter........then look thru the 'startup ' list to see if it's mentioned there........if it is UNtick it.....

dwlewis
11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
HHi Speedy - as I said in the original posting, tried that and nothing shows.

dwlewis
13-07-2006, 12:03 PM
????Odd?? This morning's bootup resulted in a similar error message but this time specifying 'avupdate' ....and I cannot find a file of that name in the computer!????

FrankS
13-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Spot of sideways thinking but is this the programme?

http://www.tucows.com/preview/335348

Sweep
13-07-2006, 12:31 PM
????Odd?? This morning's bootup resulted in a similar error message but this time specifying 'avupdate' ....and I cannot find a file of that name in the computer!????

I suggest you update your antivirus software then do a full scan,

Info here:-
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.merkur.e@mm.html

HTH.

dwlewis
17-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks FrankS but no Tucows onboard.

Thanks Sweep - I had run an Antivirus deepscan earlier, but updated and ran it again: no sign of a virus. Looked at your Symantec site and grew a bit confused, but tried to find "AVupdate*.*" in the registry editor and the only places it showed were in my ExplorerPlus findfiles sections (when I was looking for it on the computer). However, I ran ExplorerPlus 'find' function again and found 4 versions of it under Windows/prefetch. Eliminated them but will they return??? Despite downloading the latest antivirus signatures, could there still be that virus mentioned by Symantec onboard? How do I find out? (Doesn't seem to fit the Symantec definition since not in the registry......??)