PDA

View Full Version : problems with install shield

sarison
08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I am using Win XP Pro, SP2, and Norton Anti Virus. When I try to install something, the InstallShield Wizard comes up, prepares to install, and crashes to desktop and that is all I hear from it. I have enough memory (2GB at 667 MHz) to install the program (BattleField 2), all the system requirements are below my current system specs. There is not a problem with optical drive (runs FEAR just fine) nor my HardDrive space (44 GB to go) nor the CD, I can read the files on it. I have in the past, erm, accidentally, tried to install two programs at once, but one clean shut down and restart later I could install programs without a problem.

My questions: how can I fix this? Does it need to be fixed? Is there another install-shield-wizard-like-tool that I can use?

jenae
09-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi, see if updating windows installer helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&displaylang=en&Hash=L7LVK6B

Vistra
09-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Sarison.

If the update does not help try to install something using the intall shield (download something that you know uses it). If that fails, then you have a corrupt install shield.

If the download works it could mean that the media that you are installing from could be corrupt or packed the wrong way.

Can you give us the Error Number that comes up (may be in the logs).
That would help as well as telling us what you are trying to install (BF2 was it?)

Cheers,
Nick.

sarison
09-07-2006, 07:30 AM
the installer update did not help, i still have the smae problem. i dont belive that the media is corrupted, as i have this problem with anything else i try to install. if i have a corrupt install shield file, is there anyway to fix that? can i use windows installer to install things that normally install using installshield? there is no error message or error number that comes up, and what logs would i look at to find one if there was a error, and it was just not displayed. and yes, i was trying to install Battlefield 2 deluxe edition, which includes the expansion pack special forces. i also tried to install CSI: Dark Motives, but i had the same problem.

Vistra
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.techimo.com/photo/data/1/medium/37TaskMannager_CRASH.jpg

I take it that once it crashes it shows this Task Manager Window (this one is win2000, your one should be similar). One it popup click on details, and there should be some text with code errors etc.

There are some 3rd party Installshields, they should do the same job as your current one. Just search installshield in google.

Hope it helps.

sarison
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM
nope, there is nothing like that, although i know what you are talking about. the installer stops working, the images on the screen disappear, and the system goes back to moraml opperation minus the install shield. you mentioned third party installers, does anyone have one they recommend? i am fairly CPU literate, but if anyone knows of a good, easy-to-use, hopefully-will-install-on-my-machine program, i would appricate it.

jenae
09-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi, looks like you have corruption in your registry:- You will need to delete the following:- "PendingFileRenameOperations" value from the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, expand the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type Session Manager Key, and then click Save.
6. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click "PendingFileRenameOperations" and then on the shortcut menu that appears, click Delete.
7. On the Confirm Value Delete message that appears, click Yes.
8. On the File menu, click Exit.
9. Restart the computer.

Mackin_NZ
09-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Is it the 16bit InstallShield? And do you have MS Anti-Spyware (beta 1) installed?

I support several programs that use the 16bit InstallShield and every one crashes when MS Anti-Spyware (beta 1) is installed on the PC. Windows Defender (beta 2) seems to be OK though.

sarison
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
ok, so i followed you instructs to a "t" and had only one hitch (thank you for the very clear instruction btw, very helpful) there is no "pendingfilereanameoperations" anywhere that i could find. there is a filereanmeoperations folder and i deleted that, but still no dice. if im issing a step, show me the light.

Speedy Gonzales
09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
It looks like a common prob.

Have a look at some of these (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Crash+to+desktop+after+splash+screen+in+BF2&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

sarison
10-07-2006, 06:52 AM
speedy,
nope, not my problem, this one actually runs BF2, my problem is with the installer.

mackin,
i dont know what bit installer i have, but i have files for install shield versions 8, 9, 10, 11.

sarison
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
thank you to everyone who tried to assist me, but i found the final solution: use windows update. not windows installer update, but windows update. now i just have to hope that my operating system doesnt **** out again like it did last time i used windows update. thanks again for the help.