PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Programs before Windows Reinstall

Hishighness
08-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if there is a program out there that can backup things such as the regstry entries and dll files etc of a program and then I reinstall windows and I just restore those values.

What I mean is I have dozens of programs on other partitions, and I need to format C and reinstall windows. I'd really like to not have to reinstall every single program I own when I do this, but just leave them where they are (on seperate partitions) and then just re-add their pointers and such when I'm done the format/reinstall.

Thanks for your time,
H

Nomad
08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Problem is the registry may not be enof. You need to backup the program files as well.

Norton Ghost
There is also another similar proggie available.
Both of these are available in stores such as DSE or Harvey Norman.

There is also a free ones available online.

What you are after is a HDD cloning software.

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/#whatisit
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php
http://members.shaw.ca/bootitng/

The latte one allows you to backup and restore within a short period then it requires a payment I think.

Hope this helps.

drcspy
08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
never heard of one...........why not do a 'repair install' what's wrong that you want to do a clean install ?

Nomad
08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
If a clean install then I would personally do a install of all your other applications as well. Then create a image of your HDD with the above links.

Vistra
09-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi Hishighness.

Norton Ghost works really well at Imaging the Hard-drive.

What we recommend doing is reinstalling windows, then installing your drivers and common applications etc. Then using Norton Ghost to create an Image of your hard-drive and putting it on several DVD-disks etc.

Or what you can do is while in the first stages of installing your fresh windows, create a partition on you hard-drive (or use another hard-drive) for backup files and/or your image files.

Hope this helps.

Hishighness
09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
The reason I don't want to do a fresh install is in most cases I no longer have the install disks. We had a fire at our house March 14th and all my disks were in my brother's room which suffered water damage. I lived in a basement apartment so anything I had down there was ok.

The reason I need do something is I got viruses. My main problem is I can't get Battlefield 2 to run, it used to work fine and now I've uninstalled it and even went through the registry and deleted every trace of it I could find and reinstalled it and it still won't work.

Hishighness
11-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Echo ... echo ... echo

Cicero
11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Echo ... echo ... echo
I would suggest that the answer is ghost.

Billy T
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
The reason I don't want to do a fresh install is in most cases I no longer have the install disks. We had a fire at our house March 14th and all my disks were in my brother's room which suffered water damage. I lived in a basement apartment so anything I had down there was ok.
Water won't hurt CDs, so your original disks would still be OK, (if you had them in the first place that is). Alternatively, your insurance company should cover the loss.

If you have viruses though, wouldn't it be better to use (have used?) a good A-V and get rid of them? You could try an online scan. Uninstalling and reinstalling programs isn't going to help if you still have viruses present

Something doesn't quite add up in this thread. :confused:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Hishighness
12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Fine, thanks for nothin.

Billy T
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Fine, thanks for nothin.

Don't thank us for nothin your Lowness. You have had the best advice going on the limited information you have provided.

Were the old disks just thrown out and why?

Why no insurance claim?

Did you clean out the "viruses"?

Were there ever any disks to start with?

The answers to these questions and more that might have followed could have helped you, but first you have to help yourself by providing enough information for people to get to grips with the problem.

Go buy new disks.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
12-07-2006, 08:53 AM
The answer is really quite simple, no, you can't do what you want to do. So you are left with 2 options, either stay with what you have, aiming to clean up the system as best you can, or, a format, and a completely fresh reinstall. That way you start with a clean system free from any junk.

Nomad
12-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Here is my bit.
You cannot selectively backup the good files, then copy them back and be virus free.

If you backup the entire computer like Norton Ghost then the whole mess will just be copied back because you are backing up the entire HDD or partition.

So yeah, clean it up as good as you can or else format and get the CDs back one way or another be it from the insurance company or buy them.