PDA

View Full Version : Best download manager

polo
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
what is the Best download manager

Renmoo
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Free Download Manager, from http://www.freedownloadmanager.org suits my taste :thumbs:
Have you searched through the forum for more information? I am sure there are a lot of threads around here regarding download managers.

Cheers :)

tweak'e
08-07-2006, 03:02 PM
my 2 favorites, getright and flashget (now free).

beama
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
I use getright (http://www.getright.com) works for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Mozilla and a few others. no spyware either

Trev
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Don't know what is the best but I use Getright Pro 6.

Trevor :)

Cicero
08-07-2006, 04:03 PM
This is good..

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Prescott
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Getright.

zqwerty
08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
stardownloader, leechget.

hsv-b0y
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I use Downthemall!

Its an extension for firefox,avalible from the mozilla site.

mikebartnz
08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Flashget with the Firefox extension of Flashgot

jenae
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi, I cannot see any reason for using a download manager, many developers actually make splitting unavailable and you end up with a corrupt download, may have made some sense back in the dial up days however no longer needed today.

zqwerty
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
The dial up days are still here for many of us.

Managers can have sophisticated schedulers within them.

gcarmich
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Download managers are also great for users that have on peak and off peak data caps on their DSL connections. I use Internet Download Manager to schedule my big downloads into the off peak time.

I've never seen Internet Download Manager corrupt a download.

beama
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Dailup for me too

tweak'e
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi, I cannot see any reason for using a download manager, many developers actually make splitting unavailable and you end up with a corrupt download, may have made some sense back in the dial up days however no longer needed today.

there is not many servers that are non-resumable and non-splitting, in fact i dare say most try to encorage splitting as it unloads some of the load on the server (ie share the load across many servers).

most non-IE browser now support resumable downloading anyway. its only stupid IE that is has a horrible downloading function.

also its the control aspect of it. as a user a download manger helps you manage your pc use. unfortunatly web designers love to control what happens on someone elses pc which is why there is so many complaints by webbys about non-IE browser that don't let them control functions on the browser. rather bluntly they can go get ****** what i do on my pc is my buisness not theirs.

bob_doe_nz
08-07-2006, 09:47 PM
My personal favourite at the moment...
TrueDownloader (http://francis.dupont.free.fr/truedownloader/) A basic simple no frills downloading utility. Perfect for my minimalist persona :D

Trev
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Another thing some D/L Managers can do which IE can't is Segemented downloads. Say for example a site where you are D/L from has 4 servers which have a max speed of 50kbps each you can set up your manager to use those 4 servers and instead of D/L at 50kbps if useing IE, with your manager you would be D/L at 200kbps if on a 2mb or higher broadband plan.

Trevor :)

Edward
09-07-2006, 02:37 AM
I personally like Gigaget. Integrates via Flashgot, and downloads from multiple. For example if a new popular large file is out and download servers are hammered, then it'll download from all the servers it can get, resulting in fast++ downloads :D

A popular way to test it would be downloading linus. Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo would be good ones to see how fast your internet REALLY goes

mikebartnz
09-07-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry but there are many people still on dial-up and most sites do allow resume and multiple downloads. So I say they are worth there weight in gold. Did a download the other day on dialup of 77MB or there abouts and it ran smoothly with flashget. I reckon there is a greater proportion of sites which allow multiple downloads to single.

mikebartnz
09-07-2006, 04:49 AM
there is not many servers that are non-resumable and non-splitting, in fact i dare say most try to encorage splitting as it unloads some of the load on the server (ie share the load across many servers).

most non-IE browser now support resumable downloading anyway. its only stupid IE that is has a horrible downloading function.

also its the control aspect of it. as a user a download manger helps you manage your pc use. unfortunatly web designers love to control what happens on someone elses pc which is why there is so many complaints by webbys about non-IE browser that don't let them control functions on the browser. rather bluntly they can go get ****** what i do on my pc is my buisness not theirs.
And they should learn to use the W3C standards.
It has amazed me the number of sites that have not worked lately through not conforming to those standards.
One interesting addition to Firefox is the extension HTML validator. One site I have done that they ran through I think Word made such a mess that it created errors and the validator could not work as well as the graphics being haywire.
I assume it was word because of the header.

Neil McC
09-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Flashget, as tweak'e says, now free.

mejobloggs
09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I used to use Flashget when it was free about 4 years ago or something. It was very good even then, and I tried others and never found one I liked as good. Thanks for telling me its free agai :)

Misty
09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I have no opinion as do not know enough about them. Personally, I use GetRight, however happened to be looking for a particular Firefox add-on this afternoon and see that the add-on of "Flashgot" is currently the most downloaded one. Presumably therefore it must be good !
Misty :2cents: