PDA

View Full Version : Dell laptops

delling
07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Can someone tell me that actually knows from there experience whether dell laptop are good? they seem to have the highest value for money. So i anyone knows from experience or someone else's experience whether there a good system. Please no posts from brand haters that dont actually know for sure what they are talking about. :D

Mackin_NZ
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I currently have a Dell Latitude D810 laptop, about 6 months old and so far it's fine.

You will get all sorts of different opinions with a question like this. Until the beginning of this year when I got my Dell I had always used Toshiba laptops. Every one of them was fine until I got a Tecra S1. I had nothing but trouble with it. In the 2 years I had it, it went thru 2 hard drives, a modem, DVD drive and a keyboard. Several of my co-workers with the same model had similar problems.

Some people have trouble with Dell, some don't. Same goes for Toshiba, IBM, etc, etc.

Metla
07-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Nothing wrong with their laptops, nothing great about them.

Your pretty safe with laptops if you go with a known brand and do some price comparisons beforehand.

A little bit of real info (means ignore sales-person and google it) on what exactly is in the laptop also helps.

gibler
07-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I personally think that picking by a brand is pretty much a waste of time. Certain models from a manufacturer can be problematic, while other models are fine. Just carefully look at the warranty and study up on reviews (not marketing chat) of particular models. I'd never buy a model that has just been released myself - it takes a while for any issues to surface ...

code-Zilla
07-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm thinking of some the same, converting to Dell. I've got a Toshiba S1 and its been working fine but you can get alot of bang for your buck with the dell machines, i'd like some feedback also on what the quality is like from anyone that owns a dell laptop.

Prescott
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I was going to buy a Dell too, but i have read that this specific model had a few faults in it and i wasnt going to risk it, i can't remember the model anymore though.

Just remember, when you have a problem you have to call the useless 0800 number that is in India, they are pretty hopeless too.

I have a Toshiba M50 and its oarsome.

plod
07-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a mate that has had to replace both HDD and DVD drive in his Dell Lappy, but since these are not Dell only parts and are used by other manufactors I can't see this as a dell fault

ChrisS
07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I have used Dell Lattitudes for about 3 years. I would not buy anything else. These machines have been to th USA and Aust and have not given me the slighest trouble. My current D600 Lattitude travels with me around both North and South Islands 4 to 5 times a year. They get a hard life on the road. I use a docking station at home as I did with the CPI models. I am sold on Dell.

gcarmich
07-07-2006, 09:41 PM
With a laptop I feel its important to get the 3 years or longer on site warrenty. Lets face, it if a desktop breaks its normally a part change, parts available in most computer stores and its back up and running. If its a laptop then getting the parts is hard (and they are generally more expensive) and then fitting them is generally even harder :-)