PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost 10

bk T
07-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Just installed Norton Ghost 10 and it seems to be working OK other than booting to the Recovering Environment.

It boots (using the Ghost CD) OK but when it comes to the final stage, my normal Windows XP loads up rather than the Ghost Recovering Environment. Is this the way it should be or there is something wrong with the Ghost boot CD?

If this is not the way it should be, how do I create another Ghost Boot CD so that I can boot up my computer to the "Ghost Recovery Environment" in case something should happen to my system?

Cheers

Strommer
07-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Sorry I cannot help, but thought I would make a comment for the use of others reading this thread: Norton's Ghost has so many problems that I would recommend using another HD Imaging program. I use Acronis Drive Image, which is reliable and user friendly... unlike Ghost.

Scouse
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi Steve. I have run with Ghost 2003 for some time now and used it to recover successfully a couple of times. It hasn't indicated any problems to me. I'm interested in what problems you refer to.

pctek
07-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Ghost has not existed as such since the 2003 version. They relabelled PowerQuest's Drive Image from "ghost" version 9 onwards.

So stick to V2003 or go with Acronis.

gibler
07-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Sorry I cannot help, but thought I would make a comment for the use of others reading this thread: Norton's Ghost has so many problems that I would recommend using another HD Imaging program. I use Acronis Drive Image, which is reliable and user friendly... unlike Ghost.

The odd thing is that the first time I tried Acronis Imaging it failed miserably, they then had an update out that fixed the issue but it was a bad experience.
Ghost (2003) is very reliable and while it possibly not "user friendly" for the average user it does the job for me. Sucessfully deployed machines must be in the hundreds for me (and from one sysprep'd image).. :2cents:

Misty
07-07-2006, 02:54 PM
In the June 2006 edition of PC World - page 38- there is an article by Jon Jacobi. He reviews "Norton Save & Restore". He says that "the popular Norton Ghost imaging and backup program is dead". This is it's successor.

Well worth a read !
Misty :nerd: :)

bk T
08-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Thank you for your views and comments.

Cheers

Laura
08-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Well, considering that nobody actually answered your question, I think that's very charitable of you, bk T.

Strommer
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi Steve. I have run with Ghost 2003 for some time now and used it to recover successfully a couple of times. It hasn't indicated any problems to me. I'm interested in what problems you refer to.

It has been awhile but basically it would not restore the image and even getting to the point of restoring the image was a hassle. For details there is one or two threads that I started here on PF1, if you do a Search.

Strommer
08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
In the June 2006 edition of PC World - page 38- there is an article by Jon Jacobi. He reviews "Norton Save & Restore". He says that "the popular Norton Ghost imaging and backup program is dead". This is it's successor.

Well worth a read !
Misty :nerd: :)

Thanks Misty - I missed that article.

zqwerty
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
http://ghost.radified.com/

Misty
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Ghost (2003) is very reliable and while it possibly not "user friendly" for the average user it does the job for me. Sucessfully deployed machines must be in the hundreds for me (and from one sysprep'd image).. :2cents:
Yes, reading peoples experiences on the Ghost forum it seems that the 2003 version was the most reliable and versions 9 & 10 not quite so.
Misty ;)