PDA

View Full Version : Record from line in

JaceKiwi
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
What programs are available to record from line - in? Windows Recorder only recorded for 1 minute and also didn't play back any sound.

J

Terry Porritt
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I use windows Media Encoder these days, it's also free which is a big consideration :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

But it depends on what file format you want to use.

Your Windows Recorder probably didn't record or play back because the volume control settings most likely were incorrect.

JaceKiwi
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks - but it appears to only save and convert to WMA formats.

Terry Porritt
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks - but it appears to only save and convert to WMA formats.

That's right, Windows Media audio and video formats, that's why I said "But it depends on what file format you want to use." :)

If you want to record in other formats, then you will need different programs, for which you may need to pay, I expect people will come up with mp3 recorders/converters if that's what you are after.

Graham L
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Try "free windows sound recorder" to google.co.nz . :D The first link is to Audacity which is quite well regarded.

I'm sure you'll find one that suits you. ;)

HadO
06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
...and also didn't play back any sound.

J

Make sure the volumes for Playback and Recording for the Line-In channel are set high and not muted.

You can do this through Volume Control - access this by double clicking on the volume icon on your taskbar or through the start menu or by the "sndvol32" command through the Run dialog box.

You can use the Properties item on the Options menu to access all the Playback and Recording volumes - click the Adjust Volume for *Recording* option (with the Line-In channel ticked underneath) and press OK to change the Recording volumes.

JaceKiwi
07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks,

Have got the recording sorted. Will try Audacity.

Robby
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
gidday

a freebie called audiograbber is pretty good.

cheers,

Robby