PDA

View Full Version : Microphone recording propblems

Len
06-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi. I have win XP pro with VIA AC'97 Audio Wave. For the last year I have been having trouble not being able to record. I have tried countless times to ajust this and that even in the advance section, tried using different mics and a heap of other things but nothink works. The only option would be to replace my mother board but dont think this is at fault. Is this a common propblem.
Any help most wellcome.
Thanks.
LEN...

pctek
06-07-2006, 05:18 PM
More details would help. What is the exact problem you get when you try to record? Any error messages? Presumably this worked for you before - what did you chnage on the PC before it stopped working?

Len
06-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you for your time pctec.
When I record my voice on my new microphone useing say sound record program it does not record. This also happens when I do video conferencing. Camera works fine but they can not hear me. Have tried ever thing but no joy. No error messages. Has worked before, cant remember doing any changes that would create this properlem.
Any help on this would be very greatful.

LEN...

rob_on_guitar
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Has your new Mic have its own settings?

Does it need a disk so the pc will recognise your mic type?
(I work with alot of music related gears.)

Is the jack end mono or in stereo?

Thats about all I can think of for now. Hope that helps. :2cents:

FoxyMX
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
I have tried countless times to ajust this and that even in the advance section, tried using different mics and a heap of other things but nothink works.
Does this mean you have double-clicked on the speaker icon in the Task Tray, gone to Options, Properties and ensured there is a tick in Microphone under the Recording option? When you click OK and get the Recording Control dialogue box make sure you have the right items ticked and the volume level set higher than "low".

Len
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Rob.
The mic is a normal plug and play and needs no settings for it. Have used it before and it worked. Have also tried mono and stereo jacks.

Len
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your help.
Have spent countless days ajusting all settings but one thing that may be of interest. In the RECORDER CONTROL dialogue box the volume slider is about half way up but the slider is blured and cannot be ajusted. The mute all check box is of course unchecked. Hope you can help me further FoxyMX.
LEN...

Robby
07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Gidday Len,

Would think the recording side should be activated to allow you to use the
microphone, being blurred could propably mean sound driver is playing up.

Have you checked to see if there is a yellow explanation mark beside any
sound drivers in the device manager?

a weird glitch I struck with a soundmax card was the sound boost,
open volume controls annd click advanced, then remove the tick (if its there)
from the boost, close and check microphone with xps recorder. If still
not going, replace tick, and check again.

cheers,

Robby

Len
07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Robby.
No theres no yellow explation mark besides any sound drivers in the device manager. Even the BASS and TREBLE slidders are blured out under ADVANCE CONTROL for the microphone.The only thing I can do there is check or uncheck the 1 2dB boost. Have tried the other things you told me to try but no joy. You maby right about the recording driver may be playing up but not sure.
LEN...

rob_on_guitar
07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried it with headphones on?

Maybe a speaker prob?

Other then that Im stumped sorry.

Len
07-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Rob
No did not work, thanks.
I have very good stereo amp powered speakers that have never let me down.
Thank you very much for your help.
LEN...

Len
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Have just solved propblem.
I downloaded new sound drivers and everthing is now back to normal. Must of been a deleted driver or a faulty one.
Thanks so much for every ones help.
What a neat site this is. 11 out of 10.
LEN...

Robby
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
gidday again len,

Yes sounds like it could be a driver problem, Have you tried reinstalling the
sound card driver?

This can be a bit risky, so be warned, if you go back to the device
manager, and uninstall the sound card driver, then on restart, windows will
search for the driver.

If that doesn't doesnt work, I would suggest an updated driver off the net, may be worth a go.

cheers,

Robby