PDA

View Full Version : Portable storage for digital photos

jdnz
06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I have a compact digital camera that uses XD cards and the 6-in-1 media card reader in my laptop reads them. I am about the purchase a Canon EOS 350D that uses Compact Flash cards. My laptop won't accept these. I would like to purchase some type of portable storage device that will accept CF or even just USB so that while I'm travelling I can transfer photos from my camera to the device (and not have to worry about dragging my laptop along). A couple of options I've found online are Card-Media XS-DRIVE 2XL VP2260 40GB + Car Charger (Aus$250), the Imation
4GB Micro Hard Drive or the Memorex 8GB Mega Travel Drive. Or would I be better off getting something like a Seagate Portable 60GB USB2.0 Hard Drive ($289.95) so that I can also use it for backing up my PCs?
Any ideas or recommendations? I don't want to spend anymore than about NZ$300. Thanks.

PaulD
06-07-2006, 12:59 PM
What sort of 6 in 1 media card reader doesn't include CF? You can get CF-PC card adapters for about $20. Your Camera is a USB slave device so can't control other USB slave devices like hard drives. A PSD might be your best bet but the range here seems limited. Check out what ever you think of buying for reliability and battery life by searching on forums like DPReview

jdnz
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
It's an HP Pavilion notebook with "Integrated 6-in-1 digital memory reader slot (xD, SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, and Smart Media)". Thanks for your comments Paul - I'll check out DPReview now.

netchicken
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I just burned CDs when the opportunity arose.
I also paid $25US to join Flickr.com as a professional account (http://flickr.com/photos/stuffucanuse/) this allowed me to upload as much as I liked.

I kept a copy of their upload.exe file, on my Camera card, and with a cheap card reader, uploaded the pics at internet cafe's. As they were all broadband, it was a fast job.

This gave me a CD copy, and a backup on the internet in case something went wrong.

Also many people enjoyed seeing the pics as we travelled.

The system worked well and I would do the exact same thing again. Cheap, safe and portable.

Scouse
06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi netchicken. Fabulous set of photos even in thumbnail.... thanks

Bazza
06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
jdnz: Check out the Vosonic PSD's & MMD's on flashcards.co.nz.

Like you I use XD & CF cards. Recently got the Vosonic VP8360. It is excellent.

Although many will be out of your price range, they will do all you want and a lot more, especially if you dont want to 'drag the laptop along'. HDD's from 40 to 120GB.

quarry
06-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I have a Dick Smith CF PC card - $12, goes straight into the PC card slot - if you have one. Handy as it's inside & doesn't stick out. I have the 350D as well - great camera, except for the small grip. It's great when I don't want to carry the 1D around.

Nomad
06-07-2006, 11:31 PM
For the laptop just get a USB 2 multi card reader, get one that supports CF.

For a portable device, basically get the HDD size and get it either with LCD or without a LCD. Depends what you are after, for me, I just back them up to free the mem card and I organise them when I am back home so I don't need the LCD so I save my money. For LCD the legendary Epson P2000 or P4000 is v v nice :D The iPod is also one option, batt life and speed not as well but it does the job and good if you are a walkman person. There are also standalone units that you can add your own HDD in it without a LCD preview screen ... Happy searching.

Edit, I have never liked online gallieres v much, they are great for sharing with pple that is when it ends. If you are uploading at home or uploading at a cafe like on travel or at home, uploading 512MB is a waste of time. Burn it to a DVD or get a portable HDD is way better IMO, lets you do something else with your precious time and there is also no membership fees, if you just want to share with pple then you can get great photo galleries that is free, such as 100MB by Epson that allows you to upload at full size of 6MP or whatever if you like, it views at a small reso then if you click it again it opens up to its native reso. Yahoo is one eg., that it does not allow you to view the original size, you can access this size only when you make a digital print purchase from Yahoo.com., I don't use Yahoo anymore.

PC Cards, yes v discreet, one less item to carry when its tucked in. That is one option.

Strommer
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
It's an HP Pavilion notebook

Just another reason for me NOT to ever buy HP !

Higgins
21-09-2006, 03:12 PM
If you are looking out for Vosonic in New Zealand check www.sonicelectronics.co.nz

QUOTE=Bazza;468465]jdnz: Check out the Vosonic PSD's & MMD's on flashcards.co.nz.

Like you I use XD & CF cards. Recently got the Vosonic VP8360. It is excellent.

Although many will be out of your price range, they will do all you want and a lot more, especially if you dont want to 'drag the laptop along'. HDD's from 40 to 120GB.[/QUOTE]