PDA

View Full Version : Reading Data from a Faulty Hard drive

straka01
06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I've been repairing an old 200mhz PC for an old friend.
I installed a new HDD and put his win98 on it and it's running well :o)

One of the problems it had was that it's old Seagate HDD had got sufficient bad sectors so that it wouldn't boot up anymore.
However, I would like to try to save as much of my friend's data off the old drive before I throw it away. I've now installed this OLD HDD as a SLAVE and the BIOS sees it OK but I can't open or explore it.

Before I got the PC my friend took the PC to a PC repair shop and they seem to have left the OLD 4gB HDD locked up - don't know what they did.

I've seen that there's quite a few HDD Repair & Recovery programs on the internet and PC Mechanic is toted everywhere. I don't mind buying a program that will do the job - as long as it does 'do the job'.
Does anyone know of reliable software that can crack this HDD so I can release it's data? There's a lot around but I don't want to buy one and then find out it doesn't do the job. After all, the program will be worth more than the PC probably - but if I can use it in future - then it's OK.

Tukapa
06-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi

I just used Recover My Files to pull back a lot of data off a drive that a friend of mine reformatted by mistake :groan:

I downloaded the trial version first and ran it and it pulled back a lot of files. Of course it couldn't save them from the trial but a full registered version did pull everything back to another hard drive I had. It can be found here:

http://support.getdata.com/?group=rmf

Don't know if it is what you want but it worked well to recover that data from a recently formatted hard drive (and he had reinstalled windows before I got to it!!)

Just a word of warning - it took about 24 hours to scan the 80GB hard drive (but I guess if you are just scanning a 4GB drive you will be looking at just over an hour).

HTH

beama
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
if the hard disk can be read try a linux live distro it should mount both disk on boot tehn its just a matter of copying from one to the other