PDA

View Full Version : Formatting a 250GB external usb 2 hard drive to FAT32

egg
06-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi

Just bought a 250GB Toshiba external USB2 hard drive to store files from my linux and windows machines.

Can anyone tell me how to convert from NTFS to FAT32 in windows (I cannot link the linux laptop to the internet, and I have no idea about anything in linux!) and also if I will need to partition the hard drive into partitions of a smaller size. I have read things saying various things about the size of a partition that is stable in the FAT32 format. - can I have one 250GB partition that will be stable when I use it, defrag it etc.

cheers

Egg

beama
06-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Welcome to PF1
you cant convert ntfs to fat32.
if you want fat32 youll have to reformat
Yes there are partition size limits in fat32 (32 gig if I remember correctly). You can however get round this by using Partition Magic or hard drive overlay software.

Check the manufacturer site of your hard drive see if they have overlay software for your drive.

pctek
06-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes there are partition size limits in fat32 (32 gig if I remember correctly). You can however get round this by using Partition Magic or hard drive overlay software.

Win XP won't allow more than 32Gb, but Fdisk will.

FoxyMX
06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Win XP won't allow more than 32Gb, but Fdisk will.
Just to clarify, it is the updated FDISK that will allow more than 32GB but you will need to keep them less than 137GB or Scandisk and Defrag will corrupt the data on partitions greater than 137GB.

The updated FDISK will be available on Microsoft's website.

egg
06-07-2006, 12:00 PM
wow! thanks for the speedy reply,

Im still struggling to work out how to use Fdisk, the microsoft site seems to have an awful lot of stuff on its limitations etc, but very little on how to use it (I have Windows XP), or even where to get it!

Any suggestions

Cheers

beama
06-07-2006, 12:21 PM
be carefull with FDISK it is destructive partioning tool that means if you use it on a drive with data on it once you committ the changes it wipes the disk.
There are non destructive partition tools out there One I metioned in my earlier post.

BEST ADVICE

BACKUP

Before using any partitioning tool, even if its supposed to be non destructive.

Graham L
06-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Just make sure that you know which disk you are working on. :D

We often hear complaints like "<name of programme or OS> deleted my data partition with 97 GB of MP3s". Someone who "was sure" did the damage.

Partitioning utilitie do what they are told to do.

SolMiester
06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Be careful with FAT32 as the format!, it has a 4gb file size limitation therefore no good for DVD movies! :thumbs:

FoxyMX
06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Im still struggling to work out how to use Fdisk, the microsoft site seems to have an awful lot of stuff on its limitations etc, but very little on how to use it (I have Windows XP), or even where to get it!
You can download it from any of these sites:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

http://www.hexff.com/w98_hd.php (good info on this site)

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Format-a-Hard-Drive.htm (no download but info on how to use)

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=90

Take your pick. ;)

egg
07-07-2006, 11:20 PM
these appear to be pre windows xp specific, are there any for windows xp?

thanks

zqwerty
07-07-2006, 11:51 PM
http://fdisk.radified.com/

The downloadable pdf is very good.

http://radified.com/Files/fdisk_rad.zip

FoxyMX
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
these appear to be pre windows xp specific, are there any for windows xp?
They are used before you load Windows so it doesn't matter that they are not specifically for Windows XP. You run them from a floppy disk to do the partitioning and formatting.

laren
12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is sort of related.

I had to get a new external harddrive after the old one died. It's 80gb. I use it to store data and so I can use just the one email account at both home and work. It used to work perfectly on the old harddrive, but now I can't get it working. My ex-boyfriend set it up before. Now whenever I plug it in at work, most of the time the drive isn't recognized. Or when it is working, I keep getting error messages saying it can't write to the drive. Also, it keeps dropping the assigned drive letter. I'm using it on two machines, both running Windows XP. It works fine at home, main problems are with the work machine. I think part of the problem is that I formatted to NTFS rather than Fat32. Could this be the problem? If so, will it be fixed if I format for Fat32 and if I do that, from reading the above messages, do I need to partition into certain sized drives?

Any help appreciated, as you can tell, I need all I can get.
Cheers,
Laren

pctek
12-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Just to clarify, it is the updated FDISK that will allow more than 32GB but you will need to keep them less than 137GB or Scandisk and Defrag will corrupt the data on partitions greater than 137GB.

In fact my friend has a partition of 200Gb in FAT32. Hasn't had any data corruption in the year he's been using it.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is sort of related.

I had to get a new external harddrive after the old one died. It's 80gb. I use it to store data and so I can use just the one email account at both home and work. It used to work perfectly on the old harddrive, but now I can't get it working. My ex-boyfriend set it up before. Now whenever I plug it in at work, most of the time the drive isn't recognized. Or when it is working, I keep getting error messages saying it can't write to the drive. Also, it keeps dropping the assigned drive letter. I'm using it on two machines, both running Windows XP. It works fine at home, main problems are with the work machine. I think part of the problem is that I formatted to NTFS rather than Fat32. Could this be the problem? If so, will it be fixed if I format for Fat32 and if I do that, from reading the above messages, do I need to partition into certain sized drives?

Any help appreciated, as you can tell, I need all I can get.
Cheers,
Laren

Have you got limited access, on the work computer??

Do you own the computer at work??

Is anything disabled on the computer at work?

This maybe the prob, if you havent got Admin rights.

laren
13-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Have you got limited access, on the work computer??

Do you own the computer at work??

Is anything disabled on the computer at work?

This maybe the prob, if you havent got Admin rights.

Yep, the machine at work is pretty locked down (can't even install fonts). But, I was using the same machine with the old hard drive, no problems at all. With the old one, just plugged into the USB port and everything worked fine, no setup required. That's why I think the problem may be the set up of the actual external harddrive. I could be wrong, like I said, I'm no expert. Also, they could have changed the configurations on the machine, they do like to fiddle.

Cheers,
Laren

What Do I Know?
14-07-2006, 05:30 PM
If XP on the works pc has been installed on a FAT32 partition, I don't believe that it will be able to read a NTFS partition/disk. In which case you will have to reformat your drive to FAT32 if you want to use it at work.

As for the partition size, XP (FAT32 or NTFS) can handle very large partitions/disks. The limits mentioned previously would only apply if you want to be able to boot from that disk.

Graham L
14-07-2006, 05:40 PM
It's quite likely that the system administrators have locked it down completely. USB connections are a major security "opportunity". I have an idea that it might not be considered proper use of a company computer to attach your own disk. Do you have permission to do this? It might not be a career-enhancing action if not. Some companies have had customer lists, and other confidential information stolen by such methods.

The filesystem on which XP is installed doesn't matter. It will be able to read and write to NTFS drives. The fact that it's refusing to write indicates that there might be some restriction.

laren
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
It's quite likely that the system administrators have locked it down completely. USB connections are a major security "opportunity". I have an idea that it might not be considered proper use of a company computer to attach your own disk. Do you have permission to do this? It might not be a career-enhancing action if not. Some companies have had customer lists, and other confidential information stolen by such methods.

The filesystem on which XP is installed doesn't matter. It will be able to read and write to NTFS drives. The fact that it's refusing to write indicates that there might be some restriction.

Graham,

I don't think the lockdown is data security as such, more not wanting people to install random software. Also, they want to cut back on IT support by having universal roleouts of systems so they can do remote support.

Part of the reason I need this issue resolved is that I have people bringing me data I need and the most common form of delivery is USB memory stick or hard drive. I want to be able to use my drive because I need to work at home on large files and don't want to be burning CD's every five mintues, everytime a do an update to a file.

The most frustrating part is that this all used to work seemlessly, until the new harddrive.

Thanks again to everyone for your help,
Cheers,
Laren