PDA

View Full Version : WGA is not a killer, says Microsoft

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Microsoft has dismissed claims that it will cripple copies of Windows XP if users don't install the WGA anti-piracy tool.

Article: http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=6355

.....and for more paranoid thoughts again:

Worm poses as Microsoft WGA article: http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsid=6357 :groan:

Called "Cuebot-K", and when a list of services running on the computer is summoned, the worm appears as 'Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Notification', Sophos said. Cuebot-K's registry entry appears as HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wgavn\.

Laura
05-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Hmmmmm, SurferJoe

Just as well I don't know how to do a link to another PF1 thread...
... like the one where I said I wanted facts on that "killer" story - not just rumours spreading worldwide on the strength of one person's reported conversation.
Or else I might be saying that old: "I told...

(Journalists stay picky like this even when they stop being journalists. Cynicism about unsubstantiated rumour comes from years of hearing Chinese whispers that fizzled out for lack of proof)

Your second example of paranoia may well be true, of course.
I haven't read that yet to see if the source is credible. But there does need to be more than the result from someone's blog to make it true.

Edit:
Yes, I'll accept that a senior technology officer knows what he's talking about in this case - seeing that the firm has obviously tested before they talked.

mantermite
05-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I was actually hoping it was a killer, and people got their unlicensed copies frozen.

Cars get fined or towed away, assets get frozen or repossessed if payments not made, why not the same for operating systems.

FoxyMX
05-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I was actually hoping it was a killer, and people got their unlicensed copies frozen.

Cars get fined or towed away, assets get frozen or repossessed if payments not made, why not the same for operating systems.
That would be fine if they actually killed only the genuine unlicensed/illegal/pirated copies but if you have been following some of the threads here there have been plenty of instances whereby innocent people have been flagged as having pirated copies for various reasons.

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Hmmmmm, SurferJoe

Just as well I don't know how to do a link to another PF1 thread...
... like the one where I said I wanted facts on that "killer" story - not just rumours spreading worldwide on the strength of one person's reported conversation.
Or else I might be saying that old: "I told...

(Journalists stay picky like this even when they stop being journalists. Cynicism about unsubstantiated rumour comes from years of hearing Chinese whispers that fizzled out for lack of proof)

Your second example of paranoia may well be true, of course.
I haven't read that yet to see if the source is credible. But there does need to be more than the result from someone's blog to make it true.

Edit:
Yes, I'll accept that a senior technology officer knows what he's talking about in this case - seeing that the firm has obviously tested before they talked.

I understand your point..but I still like to get a whiff of a smoking gun sometimes!

Laura
05-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Gee, I didn't want to spoil your fun...

dolby digital
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm waiting for Microsoft to bring out an OS, Vista maybe, which upon booting, checks to see if you have a valid licence and if you don't, it curtains. I hope it never comes to this.

Shortcircuit
06-07-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm waiting for Microsoft to bring out an OS, Vista maybe, which upon booting, checks to see if you have a valid licence and if you don't, it curtains. I hope it never comes to this.

Could be like the BSOD... just less random :D

zqwerty
06-07-2006, 12:07 AM
More:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=89

Read the comments, looks as if the MS tool is faulty as well.

Laura
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Today my comp tells me M/S wants to download this again .

And I haven't even decided yet whether to dump the 2 previous versions I've got.

Anyone know what's new about this one? Or is it just M/S overkill?

(Being lazy cos I'm busy - and know someone else will have plowed through the guff)

SurferJoe46
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I begin to believe that M$ is just using a "bait-and-switch" technique on the users out here...at the very least smoke and mirrors.

They get their noses banged for inserting spyware, re-write the EULA giving themselves permission to do it, then they get bad press over the whole thing...the retreat a little and say they won't cripple systems, but then they say there's gonna be a very serious price to pay for pirated Vista install (ala XP rumors) and then they stop the daily WGA for a less odius weekly or monthly phone-home, and now they are going silent.

Me smells rats feces at the very least.

I don't trust Mr. Bill...he's a very conniving person to hear the employees tell...and he's driven like a rabid father to protect his child (Windows, et al)...and now he's stepping away from the trigger for a while to practice philanthropy (is that the official NZ spelling...I couldn't find a place to insert a "u"), and he's gonna give most of his money away.

Ignore the man behind the curtain!!!!!

Laura
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, I can ignore Bill easily, Joe.

But he's not sitting at the bottom of my screen yelling:"Update" at me.
It's his symbols that are irritating..

OK, I can pretend it isn't there...

And your philanthropy is fine.
(Spelling, that is)

Neil McC
06-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Laura.
I clicked on the update icon in task bar to bring up the update screen, then deselected the WGA box,then somewhere it asked if I wanted to have that notice go away. Sorry I can't remember exactly, it was sort of in auto mode when I did it. Haven't had any more notification of needing it since.

zqwerty
06-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Just get this if you have problems:

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga.htm