PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR MISSING?

sjmsingh
05-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi,

My brother was clearing files from the root drive and upon resetting the PC, Windows no longer boots up. It seems he has accidently deleted a criticial file.

A black screen now comes up saying "NTLDR is missing".

1) Where can I get this file? (I tried the Windows CD but could not find it).

2) How can I restore it back to the C: to get Windows running again?

I must note, the computer has no floppy drive so I would need to use a CD. How can I boot the computer in DOS without a floppy disk, and then copy the file across?

Or is there another solution?

Please help ASAP as there are some important files on the computer that I cannot afford to lose.

Cheers.

Rob99
05-07-2006, 03:15 AM
>Boot from the Windows XP CD.
>Press the "R" to repair Windows.
>Copy these two files to the root directory of C(hard drive). Note; if D: is not your CD drive change to the correct letter.

copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
>Reboot.

sjmsingh
05-07-2006, 03:40 AM
I read the instructions that applied to me:

"Windows XP users
Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot."
I am using the Win XP Update CD, as the others I have were OEM and part of System Restores.

However, when I attempt typing those commands at the prompt.. I get a "file not found" message.. I am sure E: is the correct letter of the drive as CD i386 makes e:\i386> come up.

beama
05-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I read the instructions that applied to me:

"Windows XP users
Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot."
I am using the Win XP Update CD, as the others I have were OEM and part of System Restores.

However, when I attempt typing those commands at the prompt.. I get a "file not found" message.. I am sure E: is the correct letter of the drive as CD i386 makes e:\i386> come up.

try E:\I386\dir nt*.* ........means find all files in the current directory starting with nt
if those two files show try use the names given by the screen output
if not try attrib NT*.* tell us the result of the last command if used

sjmsingh
06-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Hey,

I used a freeware version of fdisk on CD. I then made the correct partition the active one.

So now the PC no longer boots up the recovery procedure.

But it does now say Windows is corrupt and missing HAL.DLL.

I am going to attempt to restore that throught this bootable Windows.

Big problem is however, that I cannot backup the important work through this OS as the DVD Writer is faulty.

I do have a USB DVD drive, but it goes undetected in this environment..