PDA

View Full Version : USB drives not recognised

plzhelp
04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I have two computers: 1 laptop and 1 desktop, and 2 usb drives.

I've been having a lot of problems with these 2 usb drives. If i try them on my desktop - they are both recognised and i cna use them without problem. ON the laptop, previously one of them would work (Sandisk cruzer micro) and the other one (IBM) would not work. Recently i reinstalled windows on the laptop and now neither would work. Can someone help me make it work?

The annoying thing is, with the cruzer micro, i can see the icon on the right (next to the clock) for "safely removing device" and it would say it's a USB mass storage device, but when i go to my computer it won't be there.

I'm not sure if this helps, but if i go to "computer management" and then to disk management, i can assign a drive letter to it, and then there (not in My computer), i can choose "explore" and then open the drive (and use it).

For the IBM usb drive - the laptop would not even recognise it.

I've got windows xp home w/sp2 on the laptop and xp professional on the desktop.

If anyone has any idea what is going on, please help! Thansk :thumbs:

FoxyMX
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
After you reinstalled Windows on the laptop, did you remember to reinstall the motherboard drivers?

plzhelp
04-07-2006, 08:56 PM
yes i installed all the drivers that came with the laptop.

FoxyMX
05-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I've never used a USB hard drive before so I can't really offer much help but what USB controller does the laptop use? Do both computers use USB2? Is the cable USB2?

beama
05-07-2006, 02:48 PM
right click on "My Computer" choose "manage" in the right pane Double click "storage" double click "disk Management" in there you will find all reconised disks, hard or usb you may have a drive identifer clash ie two drives with the same drive letter check and change the usb drive identifer if there is a clash

to change a drive letter right click on the drive within the area ive guided you to and choose "change drive letter and paths"