PDA

View Full Version : Windows update not installing

music_man
04-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi

We have a brand new Dell 3100

3Ghz P4 with HT, .99Gb Ram, Windows xp home sp2

We are still on dialup while we sort out getting jetstream.

Here is the long and detailed problem:

Windows updated and I installed some and that was fine. However, as I restarted, I noticed it was downloading more. I couldn't stop the restart but the download resumed again when I connected to the net again.

So after years, it gets to 68% and then disappears from the taskbar. I wonder what on earth happened to it and install IE7 in the meantime (I was downloading it at the same time - which didn't help the windowsupdate speed I bet). I restart the computer after installation and Windows freezes.

Eventually I get it to the shut down and it asks to turn off and install updates before shutting down. I think I clicked it, but in any case the computer turns back on and it is much louder than before - the fan is.

I head over to windowsupdate and download 31 updates there. They all install fine.

Now I look at the Add/Remove programs and see all the updates. For some of them it says Installed on... but for a whole lot of them it appears they haven't installed. I don't know how to install them.

I am worried about the fan being loud (I can't stand loud computers) and the computer being unhealthy. It is brand new!

Windowsupdate is saying I have no priority updates to download and install.

How can I install these updates? Windows xp support did not help.

Cheers

SurferJoe46
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
When you get to the Windows Update site, are you letting it use EXPRESS or CUSTOM install?

I seriously recommend that you at least look at the Custom Install and see what they think you need.

Over on the tree of the site, you'll notice somewthing that says: Download History, or words like that...click it and then cruise through them all and look for red X's to see which ones did not get installed.

Remember that you won't get them actually installed without a reboot in many instances.

You can also use Belarc Adviser to find out if you are ok or in the hole for updates...it will report to you what's not installed or failed to install too.

mantermite
04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
There were a few updates that were causing problems in my computer and I had to restart quite a few times before they worked they way in. But I think those are problems Microsft end. A lot of the updates ask to turn the computer off completely so you have to to a "cold start", switch it back on from the case as opposed to it restarting itself.
If you are on dialup do small amounts of downloads and don't download anything else!!!! lol As Surfer said stick to custom install as you get to choose what to put in, and read some of the updates, it can give you an idea about them as well.
Do a disk cleanup restart and then try the windows update, about the fan I am not too sure sorry but check your drivers for your computer are up to date and see if there is a motherboard control for the fan. Could be that everything is getting warm in there so the fan kicked up a notch?

music_man
04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks both of you for your quick and great replies.

I went to custom install... There were only optional updates available.

The thing that annoys me is that it started download the updates when I went online, with that little shield in the taskbar. I tried double clicking and ti wouldn't come up with any information.

The drivers I assume are the newest. The computer had a rest overnight and is still loud so I don't think it is to do with heating.

I have all these updates uninstalled still and the only way I can get them to install is by doing cold bootups several times?

I have looked at the update history and I have all ticks.

Are there some updates that don't need to be installed?

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Are there some updates that don't need to be installed?

Any critical updates should be downloaded/installed.

You dont need .net framework or its updates. Unless you get a program that needs this.

You dont need Window Media 10 or its updates if you dont use it.

And anything else that isnt critical (they say optional) on the windowsupdate site. You dont need them.

Also DON'T get drivers from the Windowsupdate site. They screw things up.

Get them from the mobo or videocard / whatever it is site.

music_man
04-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I only downloaded te prriority updates I think. I was not aware that I have downloaded any drivers, but as it didn't tell me what it was doing, maybe I have.

I am only worried about the fan.

music_man
05-07-2006, 12:22 AM
The fan is still loud.

I have Microsoft desktop search installed and the Microsoft wallpaper changer going, do you think those services may affect the fan?

I would uninstall Desktop search (because it sucks) but it says that a whole lot of things may not work if it is uninstalled.

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Dell fans are not usually loud....you might have a wire or a cable tie (panduit or ziplok) just gently touching the fan blades though and it wil raise a ruckus, the noise dependant upon how hard it is hitting the fan.

Do you know how to open the case and see? Case opening is the only way to install new expansion cards and extra harddrives, so it should not affect your warrantee at all, as most people add devices to their mobo all the time without destroying the warrantees. Most manufacturers know this and respect it as not a problem.

If you're a newbee and afraid to do it, I suggest that you take it back to the original purveyor for a look-see and make sure that a wire is not in the blades...at least they can get to hear the noise under warrantee. If they say all is well, make sure to get a receipt for the complaint...as if it becomes a warrantee problem later on, you'll have proof that you tried to get them to repair it when it wasn't yet destroyed.......looks good in court to at least try first!

Whose desktop search is it...Yahoo!, Google?...etc? Usually they get the indexing done and then just lie there dormant until you trigger a response with a search request. You should see very little activity by it once it gets it's house in order...mine is running at 0% and an occasional jump to 2% every minute or so. You can set the priority lower if you like in the task manager by finding the activity you want, and single left click it to highlight it, and right click and reset the priority to low from it's "normal" position, iggy the warning...it won't matter there.

music_man
05-07-2006, 02:58 AM
There can't be a cable touching. I rebooted the computer and the fan was louder...

It is Windows Desktop Search. It is rubbish because it opens that ugly box when you want to type something. Google desktop search is Much better.

I am not sure what loud is...

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 03:30 AM
I'd still get a look inside to see for sure...thermals do interesting things to objects made of plastic, although everything inside a tower should be very stable under all temps that your tower could be forced to operate under. (ended another sentence with a preposition! ugh!)

Anyway...loud is indeed subjective.

Hearts beating are never really loud...mostly reassuring if they are beating at all!

Dynamite is quiet until it is allowed to rapidly expand via ignition.....

They say you never hear the bullet that hits you....

See?

The fan should be a gentle "whoosh" at lowest temps, and Dells have variable speed fans for times when things get warm inside the case. Yours might be on hot-run all the time...a definite warrantee consideration! Maybe it's plugged into the 12v bus too!

music_man
05-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Isn't there any software I could use? I am loathe to open up this new computer... How on earth could some hardware component change like this? I turned the computer off, and then on again and it was louder.

The sound it makes is a whirring hum. I could scarcely hear it at all before.

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Software to diagnose a noise? Don't think so....

This is probably gonna be exploratory surgery to find if it indeed is abnormal...

But even if it's normal, I'd still want to look into the tower and see for myself....just to confirm. Can't hurt. :D

picture of a man opening his tower to look inside = :badpc: