PDA

View Full Version : Error 80040154: Cannot Play File

rpgsimmaster
03-07-2006, 08:38 PM
I seem to be having trouble playing any media file on my computer...
Windows Media Player returns
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player. but it is not limited to Windows Media Player - iTunes and even VideoLan Player will not play any type of media file - MP3, WAV, AVI (Any codec)... the list goes on... Even playing DVDs does not work (Cyberlink returns 80040154: Class not registered) and I cannot find the source... It is not my hardware - Direct X Diagnostics still manages to use all my Audio and Video Equipment, and I updated my Audio Driver just in case. Sounds in Games still work (for the most part - in Age of Empires III, background music does not seem to play) and I even cross checked which drivers I have installed against a computer which works - all the video and audio codecs are the same...

So to sum up...
Media files and DVDs do not play...
Re-installing Windows Media Player did not work...
Updating Drivers did not work...
Codecs appear to match across computers...

Something I've also noticed is that, sometime after this problem started, whenever I encode a video in Raw AVI, it seems to become truncated... it does not end properly. I think this is a side effect.

Please assist, this really is a pain (especially the DVD-not-working bit)

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Read the info here (http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/articles/10917.aspx)