PDA

View Full Version : No Desktop Icons or start up programs???

taxboy4
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Hello Friday I had a crash and when i rebooted windows seeemd to start normally, even the start up mp3 played, however all i got was my desk top minus all incons, start bar, tray etc. None of the normal programs started up.

I rebooted several times, same result.

Then rebooted in safe mode - same result. Then rebooted with safe boot plus command prompt and i could navigate my c drive (i.e. still there) and could launch a couple of programs.

All a loss what to do next??

Help!!

Also what function key drops me into the safe start menu - I couldn't remember and was busy pushing all F2-5 buttons and it came up...

Tukapa
03-07-2006, 12:42 PM
F8 generally takes you into safe mode options

SurferJoe46
03-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Just for future times when you get a crash, resist the temptation to start normally.....this is the one time most viruses attack. Instead, try to get up into safe mode immediately to minimize the attack. I know it's hard to do, but the crash might have been an incursion and re-booting is the way a virus or even a program needs to take over.

While you (hopefully) got into safe mode, then run every piece of anti-stuff you've got, turning off system restore (which I never run) for problems with it and the way nasties hide in it and re-infect you after you clean everything.

Try to get all your repairs done in this mode...and hopefully you had all the updates and new definitions installed on your spyware protection and firewalls and ad killers too. They all need to be fresh with the newest profiles and heuristic definitions to offer what they can do.

Run C(rap)Cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) and after all this is done...cross your fingers and reboot into normal mode and see if things got back the way they were.

As for your current problem...I suspect that you have what appears to be either a hardware failure (unlikely) or a virus or even malware just messing with you for fun. Hopefully it's the latter.

Will need a little more info on mobo, opsys, anti-stuff that you have and what your SP-xxxx status is.

You might have to get HiJackThis (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html) and run a copy of it here for further help by pancake or speedy...they are whizzes at that stuff. I can run a scan for you, but they are much better. Be sure to install HJT to any place but your temp files area.

And...you will probably have to get into safe mode to make the repairs..to do that, reboot and before the screen gets to the maker's splash logo stuff, be tapping F8 rapidly until you get it. You may have to try a couple of times to get the timing right.

If you are using XP...you will get a confirmation request to see if you really really want safe mod...answer in the affirmative and then you must use your cursor keys (the ones with the up, down, left and right arrows) to get to safe mode on the black screen with the white letters.

SolMiester
03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Happens to me sometimes, use the 'ESC' key or 'ctrl+alt+delete key to bring up the taskmanager....this will prompt the rest of your icons and desktop to appear, reboot after this and you should be back to normal.

Your user profile is corrupted

taxboy4
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Happens to me sometimes, use the 'ESC' key or 'ctrl+alt+delete key to bring up the taskmanager....this will prompt the rest of your icons and desktop to appear, reboot after this and you should be back to normal.

Your user profile is corrupted

Hi there

Tried that already - no joy

Should I log off as me and re log in as administrator or create another profile??

I miss my pc!!!

B

straitjacket
03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I may be being a dunce here..but did you do a disk scan looking for corrupted mft entries/cross linked files etc? and also did you look in your username\Desktop folder to see if all your desktop items are in fact in situ? failing that I know a good store for high quality hammers :illogical

SolMiester
03-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi there

Tried that already - no joy

Should I log off as me and re log in as administrator or create another profile??

I miss my pc!!!

B

Will login as administrator and see if the icons are there?, create another user, icons there?
You could migrate your docs, email etc to the new user and delete the old.

taxboy4
04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
yah!!!

fixed

managed to get into task manger and disconnect me from the session, this brought up the log in window with my profile and admin profile.

went back in as admin , added a new profile for me and whiz bang bop all goo!!

thanks for all help..

my and my loverly pc are back together now....