PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Users

mejobloggs
03-07-2006, 09:38 AM
I have never used multiple users on XP before, and I am giving it a try now..... I find it very annoying.

I thought each login would be seperate from the others, so I could isntall a program to one user, and it wouldn't be on the other user. Yet I never get the option to 'install for this user only', instead it just installs to all users.

Settings muck up. Some of my programs adds icons to the system tray. I can open the program and choose 'don't show in system tray', but when I restart, the icon appears again. I never had this problem with single-user.

And my Notepad++ right click shell extension no longer works :( Usuall I could right clic > Open in Notepad++ for any file, but not now. I have tried manually registering the shellextension dll, but no luck.

I wanted to set up 2 users. Basically 1 for me with apache and a whole lot of other things running in the background, and another user for games (which wouldnt have loads of stuff slowing the games down).

How do you guys use multiple users?

Greg
03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I understand your frustration. I set up a second user account the other day for the first time, and when using it all my settings are lost and it's an ******** trying to re-set them as there's no way to copy the settings from my admin account. So I just deleted the new user account and stick with admin now.

gibler
03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
What you have here is apps that just weren't designed correctly. Some programs correctly offer options to install for all users or just the current user.

As far as playing games, I'd just use the one user account and use a script to shutdown unwanted services, virus scanner etc and another script to start them backup.

As for notepad++ (http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3615371)
(which is a favourite app of mine).

chiefnz
03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
As gibler pointed out it's not Windows that is causing the hassle it's the applications you are installing. Not all applications offer you the choice of limiting an install to a partcualr user... very handy in itself too. Sadly there's not a lot you can do to get around this until software developers actually code it into the install of the application.

Cheers

chiefnz

TGoddard
03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
It's a problem with the applications, but I'm afraid MS have to accept the blame for making single administrator-privileged user desktops the norm for home users. This is being revised in Windows Vista as part of making home desktops at least moderately secure.

mejobloggs
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok, thanks for your help. I'm going back to single user.

gibler, how would I go about creating that script to shutdown unwanted services?

Man, multi-users has been around how long? I thought all this stuff would have been sorted out. I thought XP would also have control over what user you installed the program to. Stupid thing.

gibler
03-07-2006, 11:31 AM
autoit (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) would be my favourite.

Example autoit script to stop a service:

RunWait (@comspec & ' /c net stop "HP Web Jetadmin"')

Yeah, well multi-user setups of apps is far better on systems like OS X. But even with OS X the problem is that some installers don't follow the rules...