PDA

View Full Version : I can not open msconfig?

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know why but I can not open msconfig to control my startup. Can you help me please?

bob_doe_nz
03-07-2006, 12:10 AM
What version of windows are you using? :confused:

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
I am using window xp home edition service pack 2

Laura
03-07-2006, 12:49 AM
That happened to me once. Msconfig was repeatedly blocked by a setting in Spybot Search & Destroy. Do you have that?

Do you get any message when it won't open?
Do you have Administrator privileges on the machine?

I'm far from being an expert, so may not be able to help, but those answers may give someone else more clued up than me some clues.

SurferJoe46
03-07-2006, 03:33 AM
First let me ask the obvious (to me) question...

Can you open and leave opened..the RUN window? (START>>RUN)

If you can and it actually stays visable, then you have a problem with either SpyBot (not a true problem really!), or as stated before, an Administrator's problem.

However, if you only see a flash of the black RUN window, then you will need to access the C:\ prompt window thru START>>PROGRAMS>>ACCESSORIES>>SYSTEM TOOLS area and make your request from there.

I believe this change in the RUN vs C:\ is because of either TweakUI or SP-2.

BTW: all your start-ups and such can be controlled through SpyBot in the Advanced Mode. Much easier and you just toggle them off or on as you see fit and you can repair anything you should not have messed with there too.

straitjacket
03-07-2006, 07:32 AM
or you could use xsetup which can control startups and a whole lot more
http://www.x-setup.net/downloads/

FrankS
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Got same problem, go to
C/Windows/Services Pack/i386/msconfig

Must sort out why Run Msconfig does not work.

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't have spybot software in my computer. When I try to open msconfig, I got flash. I meant it appear for 1/1000 second and disappear and nothing else show up. Not only msconfig, I cannot open regedit as well. I don't know why. Please help me fix it.

SurferJoe46
03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Like I said..if it just flashes and goes away immediately, you probably have either TweakUI or SP-2 installed, and either of them (don't know which) modifies the RUN window.

Do it this way:

START>>PROGRAMS>>ACCESSORIES>>SYSTEM TOOLS

and look for the C:\ prompt icon. Click it and you'll see what you are looking for..the ol' RUN window.

It might be called : C-prompt

Laura
03-07-2006, 01:44 PM
You haven't yet said whether or not you are the Administrator on this machine.
As you apparently can't access ways to make some Registry changes, perhaps you are not?
Have you ever been able to do this?

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I 'm sorry but I can not find any C-prompt icon in system tools. I just want to remind you I'm using Window XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Trev
03-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Surfer Joe means Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt

Trevor :)

DuyNZ
03-07-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know about this stuff. My acknownledge about programming is dummy. Can you please show me in detail? Thanks

CaptinMoor
03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey there dude. Right have you managed to check your services that are running. I know that some of my important menus went AWOL when I removed some of the MS Serivices.msc. Ok well to get to the command prompt you are going to follow these steps.

1. You can find the strat button to the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Depending on what version of Windows your running what is under this button may vary. I am taking it that you have XP. Oh ok just looked back and yes thats what your running, sorry.

2. Try 'RUN' again. But this time type in cmd. If it is msconfig that is the problem thin this should open a window with a C:\ _ in it.

3. If you could not get the c:\ up then try what Surfer Joe said "Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt " To do this click on the start button again. Then click, hold and wait over the "All Programs" icon. Go to the top of the pop up menu that comes out, there at the top, should be another menu heading that says Accesorys. Click on this and then there should be an ICON half was down the pop out menu that appears, Black and with a C:\ in it. Click on this.

Do this then come back to us

Laura
04-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I note from your other posts that you'vr recently had 2 more problems.

First - You installed Vista beta1 & couldn't install beta2.
You didn't come back to report any success in that thread.

Next you had problems installing a DVD-RW. You've provided no conclusion there either.

Is it possible something you've done during either of these repair attemps has caused this problem?
Or are those things still "busted"?

In either case, it might help to provide some more info to help the experts analyse your msconfig.
Remember, they won't neccessarily know about the precious problems.

DuyNZ
04-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey there dude. Right have you managed to check your services that are running. I know that some of my important menus went AWOL when I removed some of the MS Serivices.msc. Ok well to get to the command prompt you are going to follow these steps.

1. You can find the strat button to the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Depending on what version of Windows your running what is under this button may vary. I am taking it that you have XP. Oh ok just looked back and yes thats what your running, sorry.

2. Try 'RUN' again. But this time type in cmd. If it is msconfig that is the problem thin this should open a window with a C:\ _ in it.

3. If you could not get the c:\ up then try what Surfer Joe said "Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt " To do this click on the start button again. Then click, hold and wait over the "All Programs" icon. Go to the top of the pop up menu that comes out, there at the top, should be another menu heading that says Accesorys. Click on this and then there should be an ICON half was down the pop out menu that appears, Black and with a C:\ in it. Click on this.

Do this then come back to us

I did what you said, I already go to command prompt and I get C:\ Document and Setting \ My user name> show up. I got the same when I open with run\cmd. What can I do next? Thanks

Agent_24
04-07-2006, 02:04 PM
personally I use codestuff starter. (http://codestuff.tripod.com/StarterSetup.zip)

Billy T
04-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I did what you said, I already go to command prompt and I get C:\ Document and Setting \ My user name> show up. I got the same when I open with run\cmd. What can I do next? Thanks

Type CD\ after your user name and hit enter. That will take you back to C:\

Alternatively you can just highlight and delete everyting after C:\

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

CaptinMoor
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Type CD\ after your user name and hit enter. That will take you back to C:\

Alternatively you can just highlight and delete everyting after C:\

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I dont know what BillyT is on about highlighting and deleting but any way, once you have your command prompt typre this in.

1. cd\

2. cd\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

3. This should take a bit of time to think about what it is doing then open MSCONFIG

Try that and let me know what happenes

DuyNZ
04-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I dont know what BillyT is on about highlighting and deleting but any way, once you have your command prompt typre this in.

1. cd\

2. cd\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

3. This should take a bit of time to think about what it is doing then open MSCONFIG

Try that and let me know what happenes

I already type it in command prompt but it show up 'The directory name is invalid' . What happening?

CaptinMoor
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
My bad I think. Try this. Go to the command prompt. It should come up with comething like this

1. C:\Documentsandsettings>_

2. Type CD\

3. Result C:\

4. cd\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\

5. Result C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\

6. Now typre msconfig.exe

Sorry my bad

This should work now

Sweep
04-07-2006, 11:00 PM
My bad I think. Try this. Go to the command prompt. It should come up with comething like this

2. Type CD\

5. C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\

Sorry my bad

This should work now

I know you are trying to help but instruction 6 says typre and I think it should say type. Or possibly number 6 should just be deleted and we make
number 5. C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

Very often this is very difficult because we can not see the screen/monitor from where we are.

You may well be on the right track though. I think Laura may be on the track as well.

Spelling and syntax is very important here especially when it comes to a command line interface.

I have to admit, with the information I have, I can't solve the problem at the moment.

DuyNZ
04-07-2006, 11:19 PM

2. Type CD\

5. Result C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\

Sorry my bad

This should work now

Thanks you very much. I can open it now. Can I ask you some questions?

What is the command prompt used for?
Why can we open msconfig with command prompt but run/msconfig not?
And what problem with msconfig?

I like dummy with programming so that I just want to know some. Once again thanks you for help me out. :thumbs:

Laura
05-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Can I ask you a question?

Did you solve the problems in your other two threads?

If so, people who gave you advice then would be interested to know. And if you said how, even if only briefly, it could help someone else with a similar problem in future.

(It can be very frustrating to find a suitable old thread in a Search - only to find it unfinished, with no conclusion)

I was going to speculate about the amount of computer expertise desirable before plunging into installing flavours of Vista beta.
But that's a different thread.
And I guess it's debateable whether it's either brave or foolhardy,
So I won't...

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Thanks you very much. I can open it now. Can I ask you some questions?

What is the command prompt used for?
Why can we open msconfig with command prompt but run/msconfig not?
And what problem with msconfig?

I like dummy with programming so that I just want to know some. Once again thanks you for help me out. :thumbs:

Like I said: something changes the availability to the RUN command from the Start button either after TweakUI or SP-2 gets installed.

I cannot remember which one it was that changed it for me, but I realize it happened somewhere around the same time they both became available and installed by me.

Actually what you are doing is not "programming", but rather a little elevated "using" your system. Ever see the movie "Tron"?

FoxyMX
05-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Can I ask you a question?

Did you solve the problems in your other two threads?

If so, people who gave you advice then would be interested to know. And if you said how, even if only briefly, it could help someone else with a similar problem in future.

(It can be very frustrating to find a suitable old thread in a Search - only to find it unfinished, with no conclusion)
Nicely said, Laura. :)

FrankS
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
May I suggest to avoid typing errors it would be easier to go
Start | My Computer | 2 click C | 2 cl Windows | 2 cl PC Health | 2 cl Help Centre | 2 cl Binaries | 2 cl msconfig
Further to Surfer Joes comments I got the problem about 2-3 months ago and suspect it might be to do with a MS Update or a Registry clean that went adrift.

CaptinMoor
05-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Start | My Computer | 2 click C | 2 cl Windows | 2 cl PC Health | 2 cl Help Centre | 2 cl Binaries | 2 cl msconfig
Further to Surfer Joes comments I got the problem about 2-3 months ago and suspect it might be to do with a MS Update or a Registry clean that went adrift.

I didnt see your solution to the problem. Yet I see you critizing me for my attempt to help this person. The guy is a novice and would not understand "Start | My Computer | 2 click C | 2 cl Windows | 2 cl PC Health | 2 cl Help Centre | 2 cl Binaries | 2 cl msconfig"

In future if you think that you have a better way of doing it then express it. DONT HASSEL OTHER PEOPLE FOR HELPING!!!!!!!

CaptinMoor
05-07-2006, 01:30 PM
I know you are trying to help but instruction 6 says typre and I think it should say type. Or possibly number 6 should just be deleted and we make
number 5. C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

Very often this is very difficult because we can not see the screen/monitor from where we are.

You may well be on the right track though. I think Laura may be on the track as well.

Spelling and syntax is very important here especially when it comes to a command line interface.

I have to admit, with the information I have, I can't solve the problem at the moment.

I appreciate what you are trying to say but dont you think your being a little pedantic. Duynz got the picture and thats all there is to the matter. If you feel that you have a better way of acheiveing the same goal then please fell free to express it with out pulling someone else down.

I love this site because it helps to ping ideas off other people. But people that think that it is ok to hack other people down for trying there best and trying to give advice really gets up my nose.

Anyway Duynz has got the problem sorted now and maybe you might like to inlighten him in the ways of the C prompt. Because I obviously know nothing :xmouth:

FrankS
05-07-2006, 04:51 PM
I didnt see your solution to the problem. Yet I see you critizing me for my attempt to help this person. The guy is a novice and would not understand "Start | My Computer | 2 click C | 2 cl Windows | 2 cl PC Health | 2 cl Help Centre | 2 cl Binaries | 2 cl msconfig"

In future if you think that you have a better way of doing it then express it. DONT HASSEL OTHER PEOPLE FOR HELPING!!!!!!!
Was not intending to criticise you, unfortunately it only needs one Typo in DOS to stuff things up.

SurferJoe46
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Frank...I am sure this happened over a year ago for me...but I didn't notice it right away.....might've been longer.

I still suspect SP-2 or TweakUI for it...as I got them both at about the same time....but I would like to poll everyone here as to when they first noticed this change..and especially to those who have not yet installed SP-2...that would be a good question for follow-up..right?

Laura
05-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Joe - So many here have SP2 that this problem would surely have cropped up often if that update caused msconfig problems.
It certainly didn't for me.

I know nothing about TweakUI, though.

FrankS
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Joe, agree with your suggestion, perhaps the Mediators would prefer a new thread