PDA

View Full Version : Internet slow connection

Ron40
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
When i first startup the PC then d/click the internet icon, it takes about 1 and a half minutes before google actually comes up ready to start.
Once the PC has been running for a while, and have used the internet but have turned it off and then go to start it again, i d/click the internet icon it only takes about 7 seconds before its ready to use, is this normal ? or would there be some tweaks to improve the initial startup time of the internet.

Running old pent 3/733mhz 256 ram, connected to ADSL [512 speed i think it is ]

thanks for any help

tweak'e
02-07-2006, 08:27 PM
thats nothing to do with the internet. let me guess your clicking onto a blue E to get the internet. if so....thats called a web browser, and that slow start then quicker start later on is normall.

Twelvevolts
02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Particularly so if you're using Windows or Internet Explorer.

Ron40
02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, thats clarified it for me, its normal, I am using Mozilla Firefox, i believe its better than Internet exployer.
thanks very much guys.

TGoddard
02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
May I suggest considering a newer computer? For all but the most infrequent users it will probably be worthwhile buying a budget-level computer now. A computer at that sort of power can only be pushed so far to keep up with modern requirements and expectations. A budget computer at under $1k could last you many years.

If you don't want to buy a new computer, it may be worth investing about $150 or so for a RAM upgrade (a computer store should be able to get the correct type in). If you're running Windows XP and applications on top of that, a memory upgrade could make the single greatest difference to speed. This will only delay needing a new computer by a few years though, so it may not be worthwhile in the long run.

tweak'e
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
why ??

nothing wrong with the one he has. why replace it unless he NEEDS a new one. better of to save the money for later. pc's go out of date so fast there is little point of upgradeing for the sake of upgradeing.

TGoddard
02-07-2006, 11:27 PM
why ??

nothing wrong with the one he has. why replace it unless he NEEDS a new one. better of to save the money for later. pc's go out of date so fast there is little point of upgradeing for the sake of upgradeing.

The 1 1/2 minute start for a browser should answer this question.

tweak'e
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
The 1 1/2 minute start for a browser should answer this question

dosn't mean anything. with a post thats written like that hes proberly infected with something and even new pc's will take that long without maintenance.

besides who wants to spend $$$ to save 30sec's ??

TGoddard
02-07-2006, 11:43 PM
As I said to the OP, it's a point to consider. If the difference between theirs and yours is 30 secs, I would suggest the same for you.

It's not a cost of 1.5 minutes we're talking about. It's the fact that it taking that long indicates serious problems with speed for all applications.

I just discarded a 666 MHz w/ 128MB memory machine a few days ago. Much as we may like to save money, once you hang on too long it ends up costing more in lost time, frustration, and inability to use modern software. If a browser takes 1.5 minutes, how long does it take to load a word processor? How long does a virus scan take?

A machine like that might be acceptable for the amount of time my grandmother spends on it. I suggested that the OP consider it as an option depending on their usage.

zippy_nz
05-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Check out this product, OnSpeed. its an internet accelerator which for the PC. It sits quietly on your pc/laptop in the background, and flexible enough for you to turn it on or off. Trials have showed that it increases dial-up and broadband speed to up to 10 times, some times, even more. Go and have a look - http://www.onspeedasia.com

:)

zqwerty
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Defrag and run ccleaner, how much spare HDD space do you have? By the way a pent 3/733mhz 256 ram should be able to run on dial up more than adequately on all O/S's but XP and even then faster than the performance you are getting, a few years ago that computer you have was considered a killer machine.

How many progs do you have running in startup? Ctrl+Alt+Del/Task Manager/Processes. There are many threads on the site on how to deal with this problem, do a search.

That machine should run really well.